Parallel Universe

Re: Parallel Universe

oldironnow
Runs well and reliably - always good.

It's about costs to build.
Number of parts.
Number of casting operations.
Number of machining passes.
Number of assembly actions....

KC has said the V-Twin production costs are measurably higher than a parallel twin.

And with Euro 5 the Alice in Wonderland exhaust system of a V- Twin gets axed for a compact set-up that gets the cats close to the heat and out in the breeze, instead of that rear cylinder on the V-Twin, all shrouded and baking the rider, electrics, suspension...

The only ones that really excite me are the R7 and the track-only KTM.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ktm-releases-lighter-more-powerful-rc-8c/

Re: Parallel Universe

Re: Parallel Universe

motogrady

What can I say.
Bought one just like this over the summer.

Re: Parallel Universe

oldironnow
^ Venerable engine!

Re: Parallel Universe

Boy how I thought those were ugly easy rider wannabes. I still do to a degree. But compared to the horrible looking plastic origami crap of these days , these jap cruisers are ok. Lol.

I like early 4’s and triples. I miss the howling !
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: Parallel Universe

^ Venerable engine!
When I kinda quit the dirt back in the 2010s, I went looking for a Yamaha XS650.

But, I had maybe half a dozen Honda CB750s over the years, all SOHC, and when my 79ss
showed up I couldn't resist.

And it's the same reason today, as it was back then, on why I picked up that Zook.
Weight.  Or the lack of, is an issue.
Overall size.  The SS, to me, is a big bike.  It's kinda tall. The motor carries a lot of weight high.  It can be called by some as being a bit, I dunno, top heavy.  I dropped it once, just wheeling it around the garage.  Believe me, you need to be a step ahead of that one when
mounting or dismounting.  It starts to tip over, it's like wanting to jerk itself out of your hands and go belly up.  Getting it up on the center stand, yikes.

Power wise, look.  For me, the days of pulling wheel, hitting a ton, scraping pegs,
been there.  Done that.  Will dropping almost half the hp be a real issue?  I don't think so.
The 79, it being DOHC, no question.  It's the strongest CB750 I've ever had.
But I don't really use it.  Not as much as I once might have.  So, the question, why?

I think, if I had found a twin back in 2010, I might not even have been looking lately.

Just loading up that small 450......I dunno.  Everything was so much easier.

We'll find out this spring, when I tag it and shake it down, how it fits me.

The thought of selling my 2 750s tortures me.

But, like we've talked before, how many does one need?

Re: Parallel Universe

The future?

Re: Parallel Universe

hacksaw
days of futures past
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: Parallel Universe

motogrady
The song remains the same

Re: Parallel Universe

Nice save on the little Suzi !

Parellel twins to me are British.

I think this monster is from Thailand though.

Re: Parallel Universe

motogrady
m143 wrote
Nice save on the little Suzi !

Parellel twins to me are British.

I think this monster is from Thailand though.

Ya…..I’m with you on that Walt.
Stopped to get gas last week, there was an older guy filling up what had to be a brand new Bonnieville.
Silver and black paint.

That thing was beautiful.

The guy looked like he should be on TV hawking high end cigars or vodka.  He had all new Kevlar gear,
what looked like a brand new Bell 3/4 open faced helmet,
riding boots blah blah blah.

He was so careful filling that thing, taping the nozzle on the side of the fill so he didn’t get a drop on that pristine tank
it was almost agonizing.
Must have just retired and treated himself, or so I thought.

Made me wanna jump on it and run the piss out of it.

Re: Parallel Universe

All is parallel within the Motoverse these days. Honda coming out with a parallel twin CB750. Suzuki a new 777cc parallel twin the "8S" which will ultimately replace the trusty SV650 and is definitely relaxing the V-Strom 650. Yamaha replaced the R6 four with the R7 parallel twin. KTM has its 890 series and of course BMW with the F90 and all those Triumph Bonnie variations.

Other then owning a very likeable air-cooled Bonnie for a few years, I have pretty much stuck with V-Twins and triples - and my old school inline four. No parallels.

What do the Cyclevisors think? Good thing or bad thing? Or who cares as long as it runs well and is fairly reliable?
Kevin has a piece on this over at the mothership.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/blogs/ask-kevin/suzuki-new-parallel-twin-motorcycle-engine/

Re: Parallel Universe

I don’t often ride a motorcycle, but when I do it’s ATGATT!
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: Parallel Universe

motogrady
Lol……ya that could have very well been him

Re: Parallel Universe

And it's the same reason today, as it was back then, on why I picked up that Zook.
Weight.  Or the lack of, is an issue.

The thought of selling my 2 750s tortures me.

But, like we've talked before, how many does one need?

I'm feelin ya Mr. Grady. The Buell is so much easier to push around than my big twins.
With this septic knee I've been stumbling around on a walker for several weeks now with very little improvement. The surgeon said that he got it all cleaned out but thinks arthritis will show up in that knee.
Makes me think my two up on big twin days are maybe coming to an end sooner than I was expecting which can live with but I don't think my wife can. She still enjoys rides on the back. Especially on the Fatboy.
The thought of selling my Fatboy just can't enter my brain thoughts,,,, nor my wife or my daughter.

Re: Parallel Universe

Re: Parallel Universe

hacksaw
My hips seem to be shot.
Selling my fatboy , or selling any bike actually, sucks.
But if I can get decent money it’s gone.
I haven’t done much with anything lately.
Bikes sitting and doing nothing is just so wrong.
Time will tell .
Riding with my wife pillion used to be so cool.
Now I am more than glad to leave her home.
Time marches on . We adapt or die.
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.