Postponed events

Re: Postponed events

oldironnow
Half open events:

This ends my internal drama over whether or not to ride out to Wisconsin and run the covid gauntlet of the meat-packing states.

I had planned a big year of MotoAmerica spectating. Road America, Washington State, Laguna Seca, Indy.

Only Seca remains, as all the others have moved off my picked and locked in vacation weeks.

I better get some good work done around the estate.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/who-will-eat-the-brats-motoa-to-race-elkhart-sans-fans/

Re: Postponed events

monkeyshines
ahh, used to go to road america every year, back when I still had friends that rode.

Re: Postponed events

I better get some good work done around the estate.
Poop,, I was hoping for some more great reads from the road not tales from Home Depot.

Re: Postponed events

monkeyshines wrote
ahh, used to go to road america every year, back when I still had friends that rode.
Next year.

Meet you there.

Re: Postponed events

I better get some good work done around the estate.
Poop,, I was hoping for some more great reads from the road not tales from Home Depot.
Next year.

We'll ride up and meet Mr. Shines.

Re: Postponed events

motogrady

Here we go guys.

https://www.supercrosslive.com/news/resuming-racing-salt-lake-city-may-31

Yes, 7 races in the same place, 3 or 4 days apart, no spectators, to decide the titles.

The big thing to watch, in the big, or 450 class, Kawasaki's top guy, #3 Eli Tomac, had gotten on a roll to catch and pass Honda's top guy, Ken Roczen, giving green a 3 point lead at the halfway mark in the series.

Then, the virus thing stopped everything right before the Daytona round.

Roczen is the sentimental favorite, a hip, nice guy that has made a remarkable comeback from some horrendous injuries. Tomac, the somewhat reclusive bull in the China closet guy that, at times, throws it into what has been come to be known as "the beast" mode, has a "Pure speed" kinda following.

Tomac is known to take it easy the first rounds of a series.  Roczen some believe is still a bit vulnerable
to this virus thing with all the operations and antibiotics he's had in the past few years. Tomac lives and trains at 6000 feet above sea level.  Roczen is a Cali/Florida guy.  The track is 4000 feet above sea level.

 May 31st,  TV Time!

Re: Postponed events

I better get some good work done around the estate.
Poop,, I was hoping for some more great reads from the road not tales from Home Depot.
Next year.

We'll ride up and meet Mr. Shines.

Oh yeah, that sounds good, Real good.

Re: Postponed events

Yes, 7 races in the same place, 3 or 4 days apart, no spectators, to decide the titles.
Wow, seven races in one place?! Ought to get to know the track real good.

Re: Postponed events

motogrady

Ya, I was thinking the same thing Kurt. But, thinking about it, nobody is saying it's gonna stay the same.  And I looked around. Same dirt, and there is a pic out there showing the layout,  it that's it.
Who knows, they have the bulldozers right there.

I mean, a day or so, it seems they could build a mud pit between a set of jumps, and fill it full of alligators or something😁

Re: Postponed events

I mean, a day or so, it seems they could build a mud pit between a set of jumps, and fill it full of alligators or something😁
Alligators,,, yeah... that will get seven different races st the same place viewed.

Since these races are held on trucked in tracks I sure don’t see why they couldn’t redo the tracks to keep it interesting.

Re: Postponed events

I mean, a day or so, it seems they could build a mud pit between a set of jumps, and fill it full of alligators or something😁
Alligators,,, yeah... that will get seven different races st the same place viewed.

Since these races are held on trucked in tracks I sure don’t see why they couldn’t redo the tracks to keep it interesting.
I agree, and hope they do.

As long as it goes down to the wire, as long as nobody builds a points lead that can't be overtaken in the rounds leading up to the 17th race, the final, I'd think there is gonna be interest.
Worse case, imo, Roczen or Tomac shows up running a temperature, and has to sit out for 2 weeks.
That happens, the interest and TV ratings are screwed.  The title will have been decided.

Gonna be interesting to see how the different venues do, as far as tv ratings go.  Quite a few have been saying the general public is starving for sports to watch.  NASCAR ran today. GNCC, Gran National Cross
Country also.  I wonder how many watched today, vs the average from last year.

Re: Postponed events

oldironnow
Laguna Seca MotoAmerica round moved from July to October.
Okay, now this Covid thing is getting serious.

Re: Postponed events

Fall is going to be a very busy time.
But at least we won’t be bored.

Re: Postponed events

No fellows at Mugello:

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/mugello-motogp-grows-list-of-cancelled-races/

It's weird. When I read these, I'm first shocked, then, I feel like a fool, saying to myself this should be no surprise to you.

Re: Postponed events

Yup, not a shocker. Disappointment for sure.

Dorms has announced a 13 round season with behind closed doors racing until possible.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/938419/1/motogp-announces-13round-european-calendar?amp

What I find weird is they are having a two week summer break. Really? Haven’t they had enough?

Re: Postponed events

Allred
More of the same here...........I can't help but not call it racing if there are no spectators.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/06/11/motogp-is-back-2020-calendar-released/331670

Re: Postponed events

oldironnow
Allred wrote
More of the same here...........I can't help but not call it racing if there are no spectators.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/06/11/motogp-is-back-2020-calendar-released/331670
I feel differently about it. I'm not that dismayed by races being run in front of empty stands.

When I consider it, I feel a stronger sense of the ritual of the sport.
The communion between rider and machine.
The presentation of the best the engineers at the faraway factory can devise.
Fettled into harmony by the serious mechanics, acolytes to the liturgy of speed.

This will happen without regard to chattering crowds massed at the fence, fingers through the gaps, lips grazing the wire, trying to suck an ounce of spiritual petrol from the forbidden scene on the otherside. No wonder, their ‘track invasion.’ One last attempt to bond with the worshiped, as their miracle appearance in the real evaporates for another year.

The extraneous will be stripped away. The huckster rush, the song and dance of sideshow clowns who try to spin into the center of the vortex for a moment, as if that brush with skill and talent will tattoo virtual achievement onto their cheap hides.

You’ve heard it said that ‘credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.’ True. And in this realm, it is the man, and it is the machine, on the arena of the track, and we can feel lucky to watch them do their best.

Re: Postponed events

Damn, Oldiron. That was pure poetry. I don’t know where you pull this spectacular thoughts from but it must be a wonderful place.
I’m thinking that needs to be tattooed on someone’s back.

But, about the races. I’m with the bring it on crowd. Fans or not. Yes, it is great to hear the fans roar when Rossi does a stupendous pass around Márquez but I would much rather get to the normalcy of watching, on my big screen, Márquez doing one of his amazing saves.
I think the moto world needs this. I think the whole world needs this to lift the soul crushing feeling that has been so prevalent lately.

Re: Postponed events

Damn, Oldiron. That was pure poetry. I don’t know where you pull this spectacular thoughts from but it must be a wonderful place.

Yeah, made me feel guilty for saying I didn't think it was racing without the spectators!  I hide in shame!

Re: Postponed events

No shame intended.
None should be felt.

I get it. I wish everything was 'status quo ante.'
Well, somethings.
There's always room for good change.

I agree with the 'needs this' feeling. If the series participants feel they want to do this, then I want to watch.