Supercross 2024

https://youtu.be/715ZQVeqGM4?si=P_V5pHg1Hi31llwT

Sexton and Lawrence have been rivals throughout their careers.

Sexton going to KTM, it’s a new everything, equipment and crew wise.

Lawrence, a 450 rookie yes.  But he’s been Hondas top guys for, well, ever, moving up. It’s not like he’s never been on the big bike.

At this point in time…………imho…………
the rookie grabs the brass ring.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

oldironnow
That’s a good set up for a battle.
Looking forward to the season.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

oldironnow
Thanks for that.
I never recognized how the Start area was utilized during the race.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

motogrady
That’s a pretty busy track.

It’s been said they keep it kind of simple, or toned down
the first few races.  Let everyone get in the groove a bit.
But I don’t see it here.

There was a time they took it up into the stands,
but they haven’t done that in years.

Triumph is running the East Coast 250 Class, which
has its start in early February.
We won’t see them till then.

I’ll put up the hi lights Sunday.

I’ll put up the hi lights Sunday.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

oldironnow
I remember a Southern Californian track that left the stadium and then returned.
I liked that mystery.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

motogrady
Yeah I remember that old iron.
It was cool waiting, looking to see who was gonna appear.
😲. Ya, Those were good.

Tomorrow, Sunday, 2pm est, round 1, it’s on NBC TV.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

Thanks for that.
I never recognized how the Start area was utilized during the race.
I didn’t catch that either. Good use of space.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

I tried to find full races on YouTube with not much luck.
I was able to find highlights but no full races that weren’t just something from phone videos.

Caught enough to see Jett Lawrence made history by being the first to win on his debut 450 race.
Hard to believe in 50 years no one else has done it.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

Here’s the highlights.
Including the 250, 450 heats, last chance qualifiers and mains.

https://youtu.be/NiBLPP7KOF8?si=_FTy_P0dC8_pnSfp

Jett and Hunter Lawrence are brothers from Australia.
Hondas top guys this year.
Their dad started them early, both have been working the ladder.
Hunter had a pretty bad night.
Didn’t qualify.  That, for a factory guy is pretty, one could
say embarrassing.  Both are kind of new to the 450, the top class, and are learning, most riders here don’t give a crap who you are.  You don’t take it, you lose it.

I caught it live on USANetwork Saturday night.
It will float around for a week or so.
Like all motorcycle racing, they treat the races kind of like filler.

The other Lawrence. Jett. Great night.
Complete opposite from his brother.
Wins his first 450 main, as a rookie.
Something that’s never been done.

Actually the 450 main was kind of boring to one guy.
Like most races, a guy holeshots and runs away for the win isn’t the most exciting thing.
But that did not stop the fanboys.
1st race, and already Jett is going undefeated this year.
Jett is gonna break the all time Supercross wins record.
(McGrath won 72 of them.)
Jett is gonna break the all time Supercross Championships
record. (McGrath won 9 of them).

I guess we will see.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

whatarush
Great write up MG!!

With Supercross coming back to the STL this year, the addition of new manufacturers and great rider lineup. I decided to subscribe to Peacock this year to get Supercross and Motocross.

Seeing Web face plant in the main sucked, I was looking to see him making the race more exciting at the checkers.

I was hoping Mookie was going to come out flying. He doesn’t look as quick in years past.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

motogrady
Thanks guy.

Webb was the only one catching Lawrence
A bummer he fell but at least he was kinda going for it.
As far as mookie I also was a bit  surprised he
didn’t look better.
Tomac, I know, he’s a slow starter but wtf,
to one guy he looked like he was mailing that one in.

I dunno.   Jett is so smooth, it almost looked to me like he was toying with the rest of em.   Got out ahead, kept a safe distance ahead of second place like, it was a Sunday ride or something.

Ya, bummer Webb fell trying to get around 2nd.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

motogrady
Rd. 2.  San Francisco.
They’re worried it might be a mudder.
No roof in the stadium.
Rain all around in the forecast.
Supposed to have cut most of practice already.

Mud.  The great equalizer.

https://youtu.be/ftUkyFEV3EA

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

motogrady
They were right.
Round 2 turns out to be a true mudder.

One got to thinking it was so bad they might not get the 22 guys, 9 out of each heat and 4 out of the last chance qualifier to fill the mains.
But they did, both 250 and 450 had full gates.

Seeing the 250 World GP Champion Prado win his first 250
heat was cool.  It’s always good to see a top European come over and mix it up with the yanks.
Joe Shamoto, the Japanese rider for factory Honda looked like he was on it, but things just didn’t pan out so well.
Reminds one of Nakigami situation in motogp.

Tomac looked real good in the 450s.
A second place, after a year off with a bad injury has got to  be almost as good as a win.  Last week he struggled,
good to see him turn it around.

And it looks like the undefeated season for Hondas Jett Lawrence is on hold for next season.

Yeah. The mud sucks.  But for some reason the starts, thru standing water with mud flying everywhere, I dunno,
is always cool to watch.

Anyway……..Round 2.

https://youtu.be/eQ7eO_XgIWM?si=ObWoGEKREaqkUSh2

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

oldironnow
Thanks so much for the links !

I know it takes the grace out of the sport, but i dig the brutal chaos of the mud-bog races.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

 I watched the extended highlights during lunch. That race was brutal! I couldn't even think of trying to ride that race. What a work out.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

Round 3.  Not as bad a mudder.
But enough to get some tempers going.

https://youtube.com/shorts/IBmbaVxK3uY?si=qbNwWT2tSK-sk4J9

That’s veteran Jason Anderson. Kawasaki’s top guy. Usually easy going, El Hombre, let’s it go on Jett Lawrence, Hondas cocky some days say mouthy rookie.

Ah……..racing……

A quick recap.     https://youtu.be/0_9lZ9SQWLg?si=ZKU2Y1Sw7suT1Saf

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

every race should be in mud. this was great.

Re: Supercross 2024 preshow.

motogrady
This week, some are saying it’s almost like the real start of the season.  The first one, well it was the first one.  Everyone getting things ironed out.

The next were mudders.
Anything can happen.
The mud is a great equalizer.
Privateers have a better chance against the top guys and the factories in the mud.

But this week looks like it’s gonna be dry.
And it’s a Tripple Crown event.
That means each class, 250s and 450s,
run 3 motos each. Like in the old days. They, the motos are shorter.
Guys that are good starters, and have good speed have the advantage.
In other words, talented guys on real strong bikes do good.  Read Factory Guys.

And really, there aren’t a lot of mud races each year.
Well, not usually.

So, many believe it’s the guys that do well this week are the ones with a good chance to win the Championship.

And that boys and girls, is what it’s all about.
123