The ideal Street Sportbike?

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

motogrady

I'd say, somewhere between a crotch rocket and a naked.

Let's say, a Royal Enfield Interceptor, that I'd call a naked bike.
40-60 hp.  No fairing, no panners, maybe a disc up front.  Standard long bench type seat.
Easy on the ass and back. Add air cooled if you like.  A naked bike.

Then, there's the Ninjas and their ilk.  Crotch rockets.

I dunno, good question.

Something in between. 60, 80hp.

 What were those Yamaha in line 4s they made for a few years.
I think they were 750's?  They had a bit of fairing, you could pack double.  I think they had a windshield.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

What makes the ideal street sportbike?

The answer is fairly simple..........

yes it has to be café.
yes it has to have dominant power.
the focus should be on torque (and horsepower),
yes handling is important.
no, electronics are not of prime consequence.
no a cruiser is not a sport bike.

Add to that........
it has to have a fairing. (150-200hp without a fairing is an oxymoron)
it has to be reasonably comfortable for relatively long rides.
it has to be fairly maintenance free.
it has to be super reliable.

The Suzuki Hayabusa is café styled, it has dominant power over pretty much everything on the road, it has torque in abundance, it has excellent handling, it has ride select and ABS which is all you need, it has a wind-efficient and body protecting fairing, it has a sporty yet comfortable riding position, it has a relatively low seat height, the motor is unburstable.  The series II (2008-2020) can be purchased with ultra low mileage in mint condition for under $10K.

Oh, and it's pretty!!!!!!......(in its own unique way)

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

power that allows you to wring it's neck without eliciting CHP roadblocks and helicopter chases.
LOL, yes..........Suzuki says Hayabusa means Peregrine Falcon, but I think you are right, it also translates to "CHP roadblocks and helicopter chases"!!!

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

grado

It's the fj6 I was thinking about.
Mainly because I ran into 2 guys, on 2 different occasions, that loved them.

One guy told me he was on his second one.  That he had had one, sold it for a full fairing crotch and knew immediately he had made a mistake.
Said he tried bonding with, I think he said it was a cbr. But after a year, sold that and looked until he found a low hours fj6. Said it was the best all around bike be ever had.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

grado
Administrator

This is the bike I'm talking about.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Let’s see,,, the ideal street capable sport bike,,,,
I’m thinking something nimble, light (400 pounds or less) ,500cc (or less) that I can crank the throttle without the fear of a dance with Johnny Law or a hunt for a side street to hide down.

Something that doesn’t require 6.5 hours of fairing removal to change the oil. A nice bullet fairing to duck behind would be sweet.
Something low maintenance that doesn’t require a tackle box full of shims to keep the motor quiet.

Bars low but not kissing the front tire low. Maybe a clubman set on clamp risers so I can adjust up or down with just the loosening of a couple bolts depending on how my neck is feeling that day and just how spirited I want to ride.

Oh,,, and because of the lymphedema in my left leg has it looking like a German sausage I would like pegs midway, please. Rearsets just won’t do.

One last ask, v-twin please,,, or an L.

I don’t think this exist in the United of States.
Maybe a modified Ducati Sixty2.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?