Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JeVZsjAManA

Ya guys….I know….wtf it’s cars.  Nas Cars to boot.

But, he’s the guy that Won the AMA 125cc Motocross Championship as a kid.
Then was the first to backflip a motorcycle.
Then created The Nitro Circus.
Then lost his parachute license for jumping out of airplanes
without one.
Then became a Champion Rally Car Driver.
Then did the Caesar’s Palace Fountain jump on an Indian.

For starters.

This time out, he’s qualified for The Daytona 500.
Having played with late modified and dirt sprint cars on and off for years, he somehow got a team backing, qualified by beating out about 90 experienced racers in a series of races this week, and is making The Big Show.

This weekend, the dirt bike kid from Annapolis, Maryland, #199, hits the big time!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyq2REhRG4

https://www.nascar.com/2023/daytona-500

I believe it’s on Fox.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

oldironnow
Thanks for the heads up.

This makes it worth a look.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

Yeah, Thanks for the notice. I typically wouldn't watch it put if I'm home I might give it a peak.
Get my rooting voice ready for the GP coming up in March.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

Ya cars, I just never could get into them.

But, this is a guy that really is kinda one of us.
Invading them in a way😄.

I’ll try to catch it on TV, even tho I know nothing about what’s up in that world.

I do know one thing, the guy is fearless.
Some say he will have a problem concentrating for 500 miles. The most he’s ever done is a 200. And he has been known to move around, doing different things.
Hopefully his attention span has increased with age.
That’s why he left motocross.  The team managers all wanted him to dedicate himself to motocross, chase titles like the rest, and work on making it his sole career.  Pulling backflips at the X Games in the off-season didn’t fit the corporate model.

I remember when I was living in Baltimore,
he had half the police force in  Annapolis looking for him.
The crime? Making a video of himself parachuting off the main bridge leading into downtown, without a permit😄.

Go Travis!

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

oldironnow
Outta sight!

Now I'm all in on Pastrana.

This clip was in a story on The Associated Press' site today.

I remember it as an introduction to the sport that I watched on and off until the early 2000s.

The nascar hype machine killed it for me.

It used to be a gritty Southern delicacy that needed to be sought out. Then, it was everywhere, all the time.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

oldironnow
So Pastrana is at the back, but Jimmie Johnson is right there with him.

He's got to be a good running partner.

This pre-race is killing me.

Maybe what caused me to drift away from nascar was having access to streaming MotoGP.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

So Pastrana is at the back, but Jimmie Johnson is right there with him.

He's got to be a good running partner.

This pre-race is killing me.

Maybe what caused me to drift away from nascar was having access to streaming MotoGP.
Holy crap I thought there were a lot of commercials in SX!

Travis pits last on first stop…….giving him the lead for 1/2 a lap lol!

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

oldironnow
I saw that.

Good PR/stats move.

I feel like my soul dies a little bit with each stage stoppage.

Really.  WTF is that?

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

I saw that.

Good PR/stats move.

I feel like my soul dies a little bit with each stage stoppage.
Really.  WTF is that?

LOL

Adrenaline withdrawal, likely.

I like Johnson's position.
If it's a willful play, I think he's staying in a good spot to dive between late wrecks ahead of him.

Pastrana into the low 30s. Last on the lead lap.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

I saw that.

Good PR/stats move.

I feel like my soul dies a little bit with each stage stoppage.
Really.  WTF is that?

LOL

Adrenaline withdrawal, likely.

I like Johnson's position.
If it's a willful play, I think he's staying in a good spot to dive between late wrecks ahead of him.

Pastrana into the low 30s. Last on the lead lap.
.
I thought he was out or something.

Getting crazy out there.
Seems like a guy has to go for it now.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

Not sure if Johnson made it.
The leaderboard says he was in the wreck and is also still in 14th.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

oldironnow
Pastrana 21st

10 to go.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

oldironnow
WTF is OVERTIME ???

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

WTF is OVERTIME ???
LOL!  really wtf.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

motogrady

Demolition Derby!

67 is 12th.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

motogrady

He said he just wanted to finish without causing a big wreck or something.

I think the last time he was in a car he crossed the finish line sliding upside down on his roof.

Re: Travis Pastrana in for Daytona 500.

Demolition Derby!
Those views of the drivers managing the kinetic energy coming through the steering wheel was intoxicating.