Yankee Motorcycles

A friend sent me a photo of this clean chopper with a motor I've never seen in a chopper.

 I did some googling and found that Yankee just isn't a cool name given to this chopper it was an actual American made motorcycle in 71-72 by a Yankee named John Taylor who was a Bultaco and Ossa importer.

His creation started out as a Ossa 460 modified into a 488 with two 250 cc top ends that resulted in a twin or a twingle.
Dick Mann engineered the frame and good ol' Smith and Wesson forged the triple clamp. Whoda thought a gun maker would jump in on this one?
The bike, like a lot of American manufacturing, was over built making it 344 pounds dry so it over shot it's intended market. Only 764 of his bikes were ever produced showing once again that us 'Mericuns just can't get ourselves to make cheap throw away motorcycles.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/classic-motocross-iron-1971-yankee-500-twin/

Re: Yankee Motorcycles

motogrady

Great find FF.

This was the enduro.

Re: Yankee Motorcycles

motogrady

Is that a fish out of water or what?

Bugsey, in a tie!   WTF!

Re: Yankee Motorcycles

oldironnow
I haven't heard or seen it run, but I say the power plant is wrong for the chassis' market.

Not so much on style, but on torque curve.

I can only imagine the engine made it a chore to ride.

Oh... okay... This guy made a chopper out of the dirtbike.... got it.

I think often I'M the chore.

Re: Yankee Motorcycles

Is that a fish out of water or what?

Bugsey, in a tie!   WTF!
That is a big honkin frame. Made to last, I guess, but me thinks with enduro's lighter is better.
I'm sure it would take more punishment that the the other guy's but once that frame is bent it would take more than a good swift kick to straighten it out.

If kinda reminds me of an FXR frame which was costly to produce but stout.

Re: Yankee Motorcycles

m143
I belong to SMOG (the spanish motorcycle owners group),

Since the motor of the Yankee was two OSSA motors SMOG recognized the Yankee as a cousin.

Yankee Bob always brought one to our ride.

The bike did well in the New Engalnd woods.

https://vintagemotortees.com/yankee-bob/

Re: Yankee Motorcycles

Thanks Walt.