Sportster Wet

oldironnow
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2021-harley-davidson-sportster-s/

It looks good.

I like the swingarm,
exhaust,
USD Forks,
tail,
belly pan.

The frame architecture around the steering neck looks very interesting.

I desire 17s, Three disc brakes (two on the front, HD...) and foot pegs mount very close to the swingarm pivot region.

I think I have family pictures in this exact same spot. It's very reminiscent of a turnout in the Yukon.

Re: Sportster Wet

Re: Sportster Wet

Re: Sportster Wet

But 2" of rear suspension travel - oh, my aching byu-toxx. 😳

A text I received from T-34 AKA Doughboy;

“ I feel like that new liquid cooled Sportster is real low, with brutal looking suspension. Like, they have this awesome new engine, and the chassis is set up to beat the hell out of everyone onboard.”

Low suspension is a plus for many riders but sometimes low is not always the best thing.

I like it, even though I’m a anti-wetter.
I see a hint of V-Rod.
I can’t wait to get a chance to ride one.

Re: Sportster Wet

oldironnow
Maybe Nashville?

https://motorcycleshows.com

Re: Sportster Wet

whatarush
Looks like a FTR and a Fatbob had a baby.

I don't understand the reasoning for only one front rotor.

Re: Sportster Wet

oldironnow
whatarush wrote
Looks like a FTR and a Fatbob had a baby.

I don't understand the reasoning for only one front rotor.
IMO, to not scare off HD buyers who feel front brake use will 'flip you over the handle bars.'

I have met HD owners of that intellectual persuasion while queued at an HD service desk.

I hope there's a sportier version in the works.

Re: Sportster Wet

 Thanks for the info.

Re: Sportster Wet

whatarush
according to IMS web site they will not have the Sportster S. Here is a list of bike to demo.
Vehicles Available For Demo:

Harley-Davidson
Adventure: Pan-America
CVO: CVO Street Glide, CVO Road Glide, CVO Limited
Touring: Ultra Limited, Road Glide, Road Glide Special, Road Glide Limited, Street Glide, Street Glide Special, Road King Special
Sportster: Iron 1200, Forty-Eight
Softail: Sport Glide, Low Rider S, Softail Slim, Heritage Classic 114, Street Bob 114, Fat Bob 114, Softail Standard, Fat Boy

Indian
Scout, Scout Bobber, FTR1200, Chief, Springfield, Challenger, Chieftain, & Roadmaster

Kawasaki
Ninja 400, Ninja 650, Ninja 1000 SX, Ninja ZX-6R, Versys 650, Versys 1000 SE LT+, Vulcan S, W800, Z400, Z650, Z900, Z900RS, KLX300 & KLX300SM

KTM
200 DUKE, 390 DUKE, 890 DUKE, 890 DUKE R, 1290 SUPER DUKE, 390 ADVENTURE, 890 ADVENTURE, 890 ADVENTURE R, 690 SMC, 690 ENDURO

Livewire
One

Royal Enfield
2020 Interceptor 650, 2020 Continental GT 650, 2021 Himalayan, & 2021 Meteor 350

Suzuki
2022 Hayabusa, KATANA, GSX-R1000, GSX-R750, GSX-S750, GSX-S750 Z ABS, SV650, V-Strom 1050, V-Strom 650, DR-Z400SM, DR-Z400S, DR-650, & Boulevard M109R B.O.S.S.

Yamaha
Venture, Bolt, FJR1300, Super Tenere, Tenere 700, MT-10, MT-09 SP, MT-09, MT-07, MT-03, XSR900, XSR700, Tracer GT(MY 2020), R3, & all-new R7

Zero
SR/F & SR/S

Triumph
Models coming soon

Some of us are supposed to go to the Chicago Show in Aug.

Re: Sportster Wet

Re: Sportster Wet

oldironnow
Jeeezzuuzzzzz .... Yes! I am OLD. This is now proven. I am vaccinated to this information delivery system. 1Meg subscribers....

It's like a video version of my own writing. Self-referential layer upon self-referential layer.

Thank you, Mad4. Maybe I'll get my shit together and let it play-out later this evening.

Re: Sportster Wet

Re: Sportster Wet

A you tube vlogger attended the press launch in LA. Notable because it includes footage of them riding parts of Angeles Crest. Also of them lane splitting through LA traffic 😜

If you watch the whole video, he talks about the suspension near the end:

https://youtu.be/b0kItnweFKY

Thanks Mad for sharing this one.
Great video and ride review of the S.
It looks like Harley is on the right path to riders of the uncruiser breed.

I’m not sure what traditional cruiser guys, and gals are going to do once this Sportster takes over the Evolution Sportster here in the states.

There is a lot of folks that really like the simplicity of an air cooled bare bones bike without the Bluetooth and ride modes that this is leading to. To them, and myself, this is unwanted fluff in certain situations.
It will make for some challenges in the customizing department.
Going to be hard to make one of these into a chopper in the traditional since.
May drive the prices up on the older Evo Sportster.

I can’t help but think that this is what the engineers were shooting for way back in 1957 when the Sportster first came out. A sportier Harley Davidson.
It looks like Harley has finally created one.

Re: Sportster Wet

Starting at $14,999.00 MSRP. Oomph.

Indian Scout starts at $12,999.00

Re: Sportster Wet

Re: Sportster Wet

Re: Sportster Wet

I don't think the Scout is the direct comparison.

I rode one at Laguna Seca (part of the enduring labor that is in the 'more' write up).

The comparo should be with the FTR, and that's a good point to hit. Very interested in that heads-up action.

Re: Sportster Wet

Does that seating position look awkward to anyone else besides me?

Why do I think booster chair?

It looks like there should be more than 2” of travel on the back side.

Re: Sportster Wet

I don't think the Scout is the direct comparison.

I rode one at Laguna Seca (part of the enduring labor that is in the 'more' write up).

The comparo should be with the FTR, and that's a good point to hit. Very interested in that heads-up action.

Good point Mr. Iron.  They both are at the 120 hp spot and more spirited style of bikes.

I sat behind a Scout today waiting for a train to pass and noticed that it looks relatively small. Kind of a 3/4 scale.
I think the scout is 100 hp.

Re: Sportster Wet

In case anyone wants to wallow in more Sportster S information and opinions, I think just about every viewpoint is in here:

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/harley-davidson/2021-harley-davidson-sportster-s-review-first-ride.html

Thank you for posting this. Best information on the S I’ve seen yet. Now I see why the $14,999.00 starting price. There’s a lot of standard access on the bike. Cruise being one. I absolutely love cruise control on my touring bikes. I’m not sure I would use it on a bike such as this one other than to help maintain my speed in high police presence.

I didn’t even think about the mono-shock thing. So the Softail and the new S gets a great shock setup but the touring bikes are still stock in 1958. Aauugghh!
Give me a mono-shock fixed fairing bike and I will once again grace the Harley dealer threshold with my shadow.

Whoda thought the old orange and black would produce  a stresed member motor? Not me.
I’m really not a fan of the design just on looks alone. I like a chunk of steel under the motor. But I’m older mindset than what this bike was geared for.

Oh,, and heated grips standard? The poor parts and accessories catalog is going to be limited to just mid mount kit and some big butt seats. ,,,, oh,,, and numbered paint sets.