Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

motogrady

Funny you should ask.

Been thinking, for a year or so, on going with a lighter, easier to handle bike.
The CB 750s I have I love them.   But, I'm in my 60s. Don't really need or want to be out there scraping pegs.  Or pumping doubles. Been there, done that.

I dunno, my SS, ya, it's cool.  But it's heavy.  Top heavy.  With the sport bars it's not the most comfortable ride, hunched over, after an hour or 2.  The 82 Kmodel, havnt ridden it enough to really
form an opinion.  But, I do know the 82 sits lower.  Still feels big, but with the longhorn bars, and the
big ass almost easy chair seat mounted lower I'm thinking I'm liking it a bit more.

Either way, the allure of a 500 or 650 twin is there.  That's what I was looking for when I ran across my SS about 10 years ago.

Looking new, I notice most if not all the Triumphs are at least 900cc.

I don't need 900cc.

Kinda light, a bit more nimble, good handling, good brakes is what I need.

Which, after watching what's happening out there, leads me to see the Royal Enfield, the Interceptor 650 As at least a candidate for the next chapter.

Now, I know Fatfat had one, and was a bit disappointed with it.  And I think about that.
But where have the mid sized bikes, the naked middle of the road gone?

Heck, can a guy even go 883 anymore?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

That Streetfighter looks interesting. Bars not in the torture position is a plus. Unfortunately I can't be trusted with 208 HP and 90+ Ft.Lbs on a sub 400 pound machine. Just can't do it.

For the solo runaround bike I've been thinking smaller CC's lately. I would like to get a 500cc Beezer in the stable. I've been poking around on the sales floor of the WWW but haven't come across one close to me that isn't in ridiculous price range. Not something I'm having to get, just would like to.

Another small CC bike that is poking my interest is the Yamaha R3 Monster Edition. When it first came out I sneered at it thinking it should be a liter bike but as one of you wiser than me of the board had mentioned it's a way of having a touch MotoGP without the possibility of going to jail every time I took it out (paraphrased).

My concern with the R3 is the RPMs would always be on the high side when riding at speeds. That was the issue I had with the Royal Enfield. It always sounded like I was hurting it and the vibes. It was a vibey sucker. For some reason the left peg was much worse than the right.
Beings I'm a v-twin fanatic I like the low RPM's and torque. Maybe I should be looking for something in the 600 range but the Monster R3 has the look down right.

Speaking of Monster's. The older air cooled Ducati Monster is another bike I would like to have in the stable. I sat on the 750 years ago and have had that in the back of my mind every since. I wish it had the dry clutch. If I remember correctly only the larger CC Ducs have the dry clutch.

On the touring side my Next Bike would have to be a mono-shock Harley. Once Harley puts the Road Glide fairing on a mono-shock frame my currant Road Glide is going to market.

I think my next bike needs to go into a bigger stable which I have been planning but right now construction materials have gone into ludicrous pricing so I'm holding off waiting for another crash in the market.
 I do have at my disposal a good section in the commercial building I recently purchased for business but it's a couple miles from the house and I would prefer my toys to be at a toy box.

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Oh sure,,, give me some temptation.
The seat height would be a killer for me. At 33” I’d have to side cheek saddle it to get a foot down.

I had a guy offer me more $$ than it’s worth for my 96 softail today so there might be a hunt for one of the “Next Bike”” on my list if he pulls through with the cash.

Not sure which I would go for next. May just sit until winter comes around. I always seem to come out better during the cold months.

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Hmm ... maybe my next bike could be one of these. Never thought of this bike favorably - too heavy, too stretched, too fast;  but Mark Miller pants a pretty enticing picture:

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2022-suzuki-hayabusa-review-first-ride.html
Yes, the 'busa has been on my bucket list for a while now, I have thought it the most competent UJMC bike for a long time. it's only other things going on in my life right now that has prevented me from buying (a used 2nd gen) one.

Since 1999 it has only had/needed one upgrade (in 2008), and now this third gen, made to comply with European emissions while at the same time adding a lot of the electronic gadgetry that is common on today's liter bikes, which is a great indicator of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  Fast, powerful, smooth, comfortable, handles well, and, until this 3rd gen, economically priced.

In 1999 I scoffed at the images of it in the magazines, I wondered what Suzuki thought they were doing, it was one of the ugliest bikes I had ever seen. Then I saw one in person at a show in LA, and it wasn't that bad in person, it had a "Land Speed Record" look about it, a sort of an ugly duckling with underlying presence. As the years went by the styling grew on me until I began to like the look of them (especially with the solo hump in place, the styling is hugely compromised with the pillion pad fitted)
 and then when I rode with some guys that had them back in the early/mid 2000s I was blown away at their effortless turn of speed.

The 2021 'busa styling doesn't turn me on, maybe it will ten years from now, but right now that, and its pretty hefty sticker price, makes used 2nd gen examples even more desirable.

Re: Your Next Bike?

Allred

Tracking a 'Busa............

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

I've had my eye on this beauty as the price drops down.
What is it?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Allred
Have to admit that a $4K discount makes it interesting, but I think it would fall between two stools, an uncomfortable, peak-revs type "squid" bike, when a Yamaha R1 would be what it is trying to be? (And there has to be a reason they are discounting them so radically?)

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Allred
Out of interest I researched a little and found a Revzilla writeup/video.

The tester was a little unkind to the machine, "uncomfortable as a daily rider", "fairing nearly useless" (as a daily rider), "cannot see the speedometer/dash screen".

I could tell from the sound of the engine that it was, as you say, less of a "peak revs" machine and sounded to have some decent "grunt" to it, but he was adamant that it was a track machine rather than a daily rider and even went so far as to recommend buying the Street Triple RS instead of this "overpriced" special edition machine.

So I think the bottom line is Triumph priced this machine way too high, and because of that it gained a bad rap forcing huge discounts just to move them.

BTW that muffler is SO British!

As for seat height, at 32.4" the 765 is over 1/2" taller than a 'Busa............nuf said!!!

Re: Your Next Bike?

Re: Your Next Bike?

Here’s a Busa for you.

Re: Your Next Bike?