If a chopper showed up……

motogrady

at your door, in this state, how would you finish it off?

Color?
Exhaust?
Seat style?
Stock airbox or pods?
Keep the bars?

What would you do in this year of 2024?

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw
First off I would get rid of that junk motor and put an actual Triumph motor in it.
The tank is fine as it is.
Needs a back fender and a barrel spring solo seat .

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Hon-riumph?
Tri-da?

Racing headers with filter clearance.
Boombox mufflers under engine.
Up through the rear frame straight pipes angling out to match rake of fork.

Keep the tank or go Frisco narrow and loooong.

The seat is a mystery. Maybe a floating tractor seat over a hugger rear fender.

Buckhorns

Pods

.

Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw
Just the wrong motor for a chop.
You want grunt not revs.
Plus that 4 into 1 sounds like shit.
Even if you could wind it out without bouncing off the road
It’s going to sound squid. Not chopper.
And how would you stop it?

Re: If a chopper showed up……

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
Just the wrong motor for a chop.
You want grunt not revs.
Plus that 4 into 1 sounds like shit.
Even if you could wind it out without bouncing off the road
It’s going to sound squid. Not chopper.
And how would you stop it?
Maybe so, but the design brief says “finish it off.”
We’re not gettin’ a new engine.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw
Wrong. It says if a chopper showed up. Assuming of course it is my bike or why would have the right to finish it off ?
That is  not a chopper motor. So to “Finnish off a chopper” it needs to have a chopper motor.
Long ass springer and rigid frame. What does that motor wind out to ? 10, 12000 rpm? If it doesn’t bounce off the road it’s will eventually crack the frame .
Choppers are controlled thru bottom end torque.
That’s why many of them have shit fir front brakes . Not that I am promoting that . But it’s how they get away with it thru engine breaking .
Why is it that the huge majority of choppers since day one are vtwins or vertical twins.
Tru there was a push for 750 Hondas years ago . But tgst died with DOHC . Same for z motors and GS whatever zooks. They just don’t have the power band conducive for chopper riding .

Re: If a chopper showed up……

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
Wrong. It says if a chopper showed up. Assuming of course it is my bike or why would have the right to finish it off ?
That is  not a chopper motor. So to “Finnish off a chopper” it needs to have a chopper motor.
Long ass springer and rigid frame. What does that motor wind out to ? 10, 12000 rpm? If it doesn’t bounce off the road it’s will eventually crack the frame .
Choppers are controlled thru bottom end torque.
That’s why many of them have shit fir front brakes . Not that I am promoting that . But it’s how they get away with it thru engine breaking .
Why is it that the huge majority of choppers since day one are vtwins or vertical twins.
Tru there was a push for 750 Hondas years ago . But tgst died with DOHC . Same for z motors and GS whatever zooks. They just don’t have the power band conducive for chopper riding .
I’m not arguing your god or belief system, whatever you conceive him or it to be -
Hairy thunderer, cosmic muffin, turtles all the way down or chariots hauling the sun across the sky.

MG simply stated, at the top of the thread, “If a chopper showed up……at your door, in this state, how would you finish it off?
Color?
Exhaust?
Seat style?
Stock airbox or pods?
Keep the bars?

As in finish the build.
Not ‘find a triumph engine and fit it into a four-cylinder chopper frame.’

It reads to me that MG could know someone who has become in charge of this motorcycle, and might be thinking of getting it done and rolling, but now you want him to toss the engine because torque curve.

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw

“I’m not arguing your god or belief system, whatever you conceive him or it to be -
Hairy thunderer, cosmic muffin, turtles all the way down or chariots hauling the sun across the
Sky”

Actually you are doing just that by mentioning it.
I have been on line for 25years and I have never attacked
Anyones belief in god. Or even not believing .
If you believe god is a hairy turtle , that’s fine by me.
Religion is the one subject I stay away from .

I will just say one more time to those whom may not understand . I would not use a ujm four in any chopper I have ever, or will ever build . Or finish .

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Me…..first off the carbs would go on.
A fuel line with one of those clear plastic inline filter where you could see it.
10/40 oil in the engine.
Put the wiring harness on loose. (He still has that)
Grab a 50 dollar battery from WalMart.

Hit the button or touch the wires and see if it turns over.
If so, Hotwire it with a quart of 87 petrol in the tank.
A shot of starting fluid in each carb and see what happens.

If it lives……….

Clear coat the frame instead of chrome.
Chrome would be nice, but come on,
get real.

No like the clear, gloss white tank and frame.
And no mother of pearl. Or whatever.
Gloss white and 3 or 4 coats of clear.

Forget about the front brake for now.

Pods on the carbs.  Or stacks. Stacks with the brass screens if you could find them.  That motor with the CV carbs…..some say they absolutely will not work without the stock air box.  But I’ve seen them on guys bikes that do.
Plus, where you gonna put a stock airbox on that thing.
There is a way.  Some way to get the pods to work.

Mount one of those real small batteries the brat guys are using under the seat. Ya, they are expensive but it would keep the bike open in the middle.  No need for an oil tank,
keep it as minimal as possible.
The seat, one of those chopper seats that are narrow and wrap up the rear fender. Maybe a small sissy bar, but that’s debatable.  It’s hard enough throwing a leg over as it is.

Exhaust, that a guy could spend a lot on.
I mean, 4 pipes wrapping under the motor,
turning up behind your legs, same angle as the rear lower
frame, or the same angle as the front forks,
ending with fishtails maybe waist high. Chromed, that would be killer.  But again, get real.
A set of header pipes off eBay that would get you past the footpegs, with 4 mufflers off a sportster, they are easy to find, staggered on each side.  Spray exhaust all flat black.

The bars, I hate those bend back or whatever you call em.
I mean, to get it on the road, yeah. But t bars would be the stuff.

A simple, round headlight, a simple brake and taillight mounted low on the rear frame with the tag mount. Right before the axel.

Jam a horn under the tripple clamp, between the fork tubes.

Ya, a clean all white bike.
Black seat.
Flat black exhaust.
Open like a brat bike in the middle.

Maybe a black peace sign on each side of the tank.
Small, up front so your knees wouldn’t hide it.

Ya……..something like that.

[...]

I dig it !
Getting real. Getting it going.
I’d like to assist on this kind of project.
My whole life was make do, improvise, get it done.

I like your vision here, MG - Black and white, harsh and stark, and was thinking long intake stacks would visually work well with a long exhaust. Might even mechanically, too, as maybe one could one fit a restriction inside the intakes to duplicate the restriction of an airbox.
So many different bargain exhaust options on ebay.
An oilbag-shaped container under the seat for battery and electrics?
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

motogrady

With one of those real small batteries maybe stuff the electrics under the seat?

Re: If a chopper showed up……

motogrady

Like I need another project.
I’m gonna make a few calls.
🤔

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw wrote
“I’m not arguing your god or belief system, whatever you conceive him or it to be -
Hairy thunderer, cosmic muffin, turtles all the way down or chariots hauling the sun across the
Sky”

Actually you are doing just that by mentioning it.
I have been on line for 25years and I have never attacked
Anyones belief in god. Or even not believing .
If you believe god is a hairy turtle , that’s fine by me.
Religion is the one subject I stay away from .

I will just say one more time to those whom may not understand . I would not use a ujm four in any chopper I have ever, or will ever build . Or finish .
UGH..…

I had a feeling referencing “Deteriorata” for levity would abjectly send you off on a sanctimonious tangent.
What a huge mistake. It’s now an obscure 50 years old bit.
Don’t even look it up - the chorus probably will flip you out.

So you won’t ever use a UJM four in a chop - hey, good for you. Nice to have a belief system. It even makes torque sense. I can see that.

But to make it a tactless crusade? Going to tell us we’re “Wrong” until we become disciples?

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

With one of those real small batteries maybe stuff the electrics under the seat?

That’s clean.
Less bracketry than a fake bag.
Maybe the seat on the frame rails can have edges extended downward to keep the tray out of view.

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Natives getting restless😄

And ya Oldiron a tray or something to hold the battery like that good.

I looked a bit, I can’t seem to find those real small. Lithium? Batteries.  I know they are out there.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Well you certainly proved yourself to be the expert on tactless crusades.

One hell of an attitude you got ,
Mr Sanctimonious!

Re: If a chopper showed up……

What frame is that tray shown on ?
Another reason I don’t care for jap fours in choppers, now that u mention fake oil bags , they are wet sump design . Not to get mr sanctimonious’ panties in a knot .
These motors generally run taller then motors with real oil bags . Which presents issues for frame backbone heights
If one has a certain idea of the stance and flow of what the over all finished bike would be.
Faux oil bags aren’t my thing either .
But I don’t care at all for the empty space left behind many tracker and cafe builds seen out there.

I have been involved with this scene since early 70’s.
Back long before Discovery Channel made every viewer a chopper expert , back when the straights and the AMA shunned us . When we were asked to park in back .
Etc .
Now adays anyone with plastic fenders can call themselves old iron lol.
I like what  I grew up liking. I have an idea what works and why. I have experienced it.

There are a few makers of the lithium type batteries. The advantage is they are smaller than comparable traditional batteries , but more so they can be mounted in various positions in custom applications . Even upside down .
I believe the trend started with triumph guys using wheel chair batteries . But there is now a whole host of various sizes and number of cells to match what ones build requires . And for stockers as well . Of course one needs to pad out the stock battery box.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Relax hack.

You and the Hollister guys wernt the only ones into bikes back in the day.

Like we told Mad4, it’s a big world out there.
Accept it or not, your tribe is no better or more important
than the others.

Me, I like the open look.
That tray is on a cb750k.  An 82 I believe.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

I am afraid you are mixed up a bit. Hollister was what? In 1947? And it was overplayed by Life magazine in any case .I was born in 1952. So calling me a Hollister person is just another example of ill informed  moto racism of which I spoke of earlier.

I once was lambasted here for posting something of a
political nature . I think by the same sense posting religion based attacks should be similarly be incompatible with this forum .

Then again posting an image which I guess is supposed to be Jesus , I guess it’s Jesus as to who else could  ride a bike across the sky that has no triple trees in the front end.

A guy who can use religion as an excuse to make an argument over fucking motorcycle is nothing more than a blowhard. A sanctimonious squid.