"WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

12345 ... 23

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

I still get compliments for its level of gorgeous, even though,some will note that it does not have the 'allred quality' of clean that it once did.
I blush at the compliment!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

The irony, though, is that I WANTED one of the 1125 Superbikes that didn't run very well.

They went on sale for $5000 the very next day.....

Evidence of a 'grime...'

The gods of two wheel freedom where on your side that day. I don't think the 1125 would have been able to gain the grime.
Grime rules!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow

Why's the transmission hatin' life?

Fresh engine and primary oils today.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
Ordered a rear tire today, wanted a Bridgestone, had to settle for s Kendra or something.
eBay dealer guarantees it will be my place the 23rd.  It's the 20th as I type.

I got a call over the weekend.  There's gonna be a ride this weekend, the 25th.  Word of mouth only, by invite.  They are trying to keep it under 25 guys, that's the corona state guideline or something, but there's a lot riders that want to get out there and do, well, something.

Thru the mountains, lunch paid for in a place I never heard of.   Effin virus thing has the organizer and riders acting like thieves in the night.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Ordered a rear tire today, wanted a Bridgestone, had to settle for s Kendra or something.
eBay dealer guarantees it will be my place the 23rd.  It's the 20th as I type.

I got a call over the weekend.  There's gonna be a ride this weekend, the 25th.  Word of mouth only, by invite.  They are trying to keep it under 25 guys, that's the corona state guideline or something, but there's a lot riders that want to get out there and do, well, something.

Thru the mountains, lunch paid for in a place I never heard of.   Effin virus thing has the organizer and riders acting like thieves in the night.
Never tried, or heard reports, of Kenda tires. I "recently" bought new front and rear tires for my bike from the dealership, Michelin Commander IIs, and was/am extremely pleased with them.......you may (or may not) remember me posting about them when the CW forum was up. Anyway, my point in mentioning this is I had a hard time getting tires that had current time stamps on them, so just a warning to you regarding buying tires online, there is no guarantee that the tires will have current year stamps on them.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
Ya I remember that thread Allred.

Was talking to a guy few weeks ago, he was saying just buying them online there is a chance they will be not as good the same tire sold at a dealer.
Told me, for example, and he was convinced, that the production runs, quality wise, for tires slated to go to Wal Mart were just not as good as the ones slated for manufacturers and dealers.  That they all do it, Goodyear, Firestone, Contential, all of them have different tiers of the same tire.

I dunno.

Tell me Allred, theses time stamps, what do they look like?
Same as on a milk carton or something?

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Ya I remember that thread Allred.

Was talking to a guy few weeks ago, he was saying just buying them online there is a chance they will be not as good the same tire sold at a dealer.
Told me, for example, and he was convinced, that the production runs, quality wise, for tires slated to go to Wal Mart were just not as good as the ones slated for manufacturers and dealers.  That they all do it, Goodyear, Firestone, Contential, all of them have different tiers of the same tire.

I dunno.

Tell me Allred, theses time stamps, what do they look like?
Same as on a milk carton or something?

Yes, tires have date stamps, a 4 digit number on car and motorcycle tires indicating the date of manufacture, the first 2 digits indicate the week of the year, and the second two digits indicate the actual year of manufacture. i.e. 5219 would indicate week 52 of 2019 (Dec 2019).

I don't think online sales of tires are of any different "quality" than other tires, but I do think that they try to offload tires with "old" date stamps. If you get a "new" tire that is actually 4 or 5 years old its "life" is limited already.  When I buy new tires for my motorcycle or cars I try to insist on tires with date stamps less than 12 months old.

https://www.utires.com/articles/read-date-code-motorcycle-tires/

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
Allred wrote
motogrady wrote
Ya I remember that thread Allred.

Was talking to a guy few weeks ago, he was saying just buying them online there is a chance they will be not as good the same tire sold at a dealer.
Told me, for example, and he was convinced, that the production runs, quality wise, for tires slated to go to Wal Mart were just not as good as the ones slated for manufacturers and dealers.  That they all do it, Goodyear, Firestone, Contential, all of them have different tiers of the same tire.

I dunno.

Tell me Allred, theses time stamps, what do they look like?
Same as on a milk carton or something?
Man I did not know that.  Learn something every day.  šŸ‘Thanks guy.

.
Man, I did not know that.  Learn something every day.  Thanks guyšŸ‘

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
Yes.
Huge win for the consumer.
Thanks, allred!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Allred
And so, buying tires online is a huge gamble, when they arrive they may have a date stamp that is several years old, but now you are stuck with the hassle of returning them (if you can) or settle for "old" tires.

Whereas, at the dealership, okay you may pay a little more, but you can inspect the date stamps on their tires in stock, or if ordering, stipulate ahead of time that you want tires with recent manufacture dates.

Now, everyone go into your garage and check the date stamps on your motorcycle and car/truck tires!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Allred wrote
Now, everyone go into your garage and check the date stamps on your motorcycle and car/truck tires!

.

 If I were to check the date on the tires on my bikes I fear I would not be riding any of my bikes except the new Iron.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

 If I were to check the date on the tires on my bikes I fear I would not be riding any of my bikes except the new Iron.
Ah, but that's the whole point, after all, how does that Michelin ad go......."Because so much is riding on your tires"

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Off eBay.  Got rooked on delivery date, it was late.
$118.00.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Allred
Excellent! May 2020 manufacture date, can't get much better than that!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
2 and a half albums of Pink Floyd, a side of robin trower, inagaddadavida, the long version, twice, with some Jimmie Hendrix thrown in.
The wheel is off!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Good choice of shop tunes.
Could you imagine a work shop without tunage? Thatā€™s part of the enjoyment.

The first thing I do is kick on the tunes.
I usually mostly tune in to k-she 95 which is a rock station Iā€™ve been listening to since I can remember. It was born the same year I was. 1967.

I had it cranking all day today from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm while doing shocks and seat covers on the Jeep.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
I tell you Kirk, we have been so busy with ac work it was therapeutic to take Saturday and forget about life for awhile.

Had a friend stop by, the guy with the orange v rod.  Reminded me, Iā€™ve got 2 bikes, that, put in good condition are not only worth a nice piece of change, but are history.

Got me motivated, bike wise.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

 Aaahhh work, I wish work consisted of just counting money. A wish you hear the beep of a Brinx truck backing up your drive way.

 I love garage therapy.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Allred
Went for a ride on the bike today............warm temps here, 109 forecast for the weekend.

After pretty much running out of things to do under the confines of the virus thing, I figured I should go for bike ride. It was mid morning, so only in the mid-to high 90s, and I contravened the ATGATT rules and rode in flip-flops, sweat pants and a tee shirt!

But it was good, just 65 miles on my favorite roads, and it was good.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
Finally found a place that mounts bike tires.

Gonna take tomorrow morning, put it back together.
Then, maybe run the loop.  Havenā€™t done it this year.
ā€˜Bout time.

The loop

http://vintage-and-classic-hondas.456789.n3.nabble.com/Went-for-a-ride-the-other-day-td4030146.html#a4030249
12345 ... 23