Last Rides

1 ... 14151617181920 ... 26

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw
Well I can’t find the post shines made on twin cams.
I find they  are good . The super glide had the closed loop system and idled a bit high , but it was a freight train of power!
The fat boy Efi Ran great.
I have no complaints on either engine . 2008 and 2003 respectively both with very low miles.
I have seen twin cams that the cam chains let go . Terrible mess. So I just as soon avoid a higher mileage twin cams in the future

Re: Last Rides - Oops

monkeyshines wrote
Nice trike, like the color. Same year I believe. I was at the dealer picking up filter etc and walked around the new bike showroom, ouch$

That “seat”.. I think they want you to buy a rider backrest, it’s maybe the only thing that would help from slouching, as I have to keep pushing myself back in that thing. Thinking of removing the heel shifter so I can slide my feet further back on the boards. And Highway pegs to get away from the heat this thing kicks out. I don’t know how anyone would like that lump of a passenger seat. Also that passenger backrest rattles like crazy without a passenger leaning on it. Removable but she’s got a rear brake light wired into it.
Yeah, the new bikes are priced way to high for me to look at. The only new one's I'm interested in is the Sportster S and the Road Glide trike but both are too high in my opinion. Going used is the only way I'll have either of these later down the line.

Wedge Fairing makes a Road Glide fairing for a couple grand that will fit the Freewheeler so I'd prefer that route vs new at this point.
My only complaints on the bike is that seat and the wind noise. Just seems excessive for a bike with a windshield and I'm not sure why it is.
The heat on this is actually less than the CVO Deluxe I traded in. That had the 110 motor that cooked my right inner thigh. Not having to put my feet down is a plus. No more left calf scourge on primary because of my short legs.

I do like the smoothness of the flubber mount. I am surprised at how smooth it is, even at stops. I don't remember my Road Glide being that smooth at the lights.

I've not noticed the rattling of the backrest. Of course it's mainly the two up rider so that's probably why.

A backrest could help me but not the bride. She hates the seat. I found a hammock seat for hundred bucks that fits the tri glide that with a little modification should fit the Freewheeler. At least that's what I read on the HD Forums. We shall see.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

monkeyshines wrote
Knucklehead row. I like.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

Riddle me this fat  man ,
Wouldn’t this be more enclosed than your Tbucket or even Miata?
Not to say you shouldn’t like what u like.
I really just don’t get it.
Not you or even the trike exactly. I don’t get the ultra bagger thing either.
Trikes imho are more roadster than motorcycle.
Since they are steered instead of leaned , enclosed to this degree they become a car .
Jeeps used to have fold down windshields that actually put the operator on the wind. The barge trend in motorcycling seems to defy the “in the wind” appeal of riding .

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw wrote
Riddle me this fat  man ,
Wouldn’t this be more enclosed than your Tbucket or even Miata?

I really just don’t get it.
No, I rode in the Miata and the T-Bucket. I ride on a Bagger.

There really isn’t anything to get.
A Bagger is just a motorcycle with added comforts.
A windshield or fairing to block the pressure that the body would normally get during an all day of 300+ miles to ease up fatigue.
It also keeps bugs off your face and the occasional flying rock kicked up by another car or truck. Those things can take an eye out.
I rode for years without a windshield. There was once I got a bee right between the nostrils. Instantly my eyes teared up making it hard to see. Fortunately I was on a straight where I  was able to stop. If I’d been in the middle of a turn it could of been a ditch dive.

What finally got me to get a windshield is I always try and get a ride in on New Year’s Day, weather permitting.
New Year’s Day 2002, I believe it was,it was a sunny 50 degrees by noon. I took a ride. I rode out about 40-50 miles and stopped for lunch. By then the weather turned cold. A cold front came in and the temperature turned to 25 degrees and cloudy. It was a miserable ride home. Having a windshield would of helped block some of the cold. The next weekend I put a windshield on.
Most of my bikes don’t have windshields on them because they are mostly ridden on short putts and I prefer all the wind.
I like the quick release hardware that has come about. If I’m going by myself I take them off. If Lisa is going I typically put one on. She prefers the windshield because it keeps pressure off her head so her neck doesn’t hurt after a day on a ride.

The bags of a bagger make it easy to carry extra foul weather gear all the time just in case the weather turns.

I get that you don’t like baggers. A lot of extra fluff that ruins the look of a bike but if you consistently rode long distances you would “get” why a fairing or windshield is stuck on the front of a bike.

Being a motorcyclist doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw
Well of course I know all of this stuff .
I didn’t mean for you to have to go to this extreme in explaining . Sorry for that.

There is a windshield on my bmw I never took off.
I did take off the bmw stock  bags . Lol.
My question wasn’t about baggers looks particularly.
Only about the idea of being in the wind.
I have had several what most people are calling baggers these days. Hell the name bagger even annoys me .
One could put bags on a 350 and wouldn’t that be a bagger?

Where you live and have access to open spaces , yes I get that. And I know corn bugs in Iowa can knock u out.
I left the batwing on my FLH shovel when I went to sturgis.
Of course there is time and place.

Again , only from the perspective of being “in the wind” is my question .
Easy riders magazine started this with their “in the wind”
Features in the early 80’s.
Mostly hardcore people on choppers .
If that’s the definition of in the wind still today?
I am not sure.
Todays top of the line dressers , I mean baggers , are low sitting machines closed in by ultra fairings and leggings and hi def electronics . You sit in them , not on them . True you still lean and counter steer.

On a two wheeler that is . A trike ? A sidecar rig?
Searching for my own definitions here.
Perhaps the Freewheeler is still actually free wheeling even with a regular old windshield . I can see that one still gets appreciable wind beyond it .
The triglide though , is a car in my book .
Then again I don’t consider myself a motorcyclist .
And I refuse to join the AMA
I don’t even like the term biker. That started on the west coast . Here in the East we were bike riders . Since that’s what we did , ride bikes.  Easy Rider spread this cultural BS across the country . So I never really understood if folks were influencing the magazine content or following lifestyle ques from the magazine .
Now I suppose I follow the trends to a degree myself . But I am not proud of that. I could go on and on about the moto press from Floyd Clymer to the internet email magazines . But I won’t . Not today.

Fat2 .again , sorry for coming off in a way that may have been provoking . My endeavor is …
In Search of Being In The Wind!

Re: Last Rides - Oops

No sorry needed or expected.
If being in the wind is all one is seeking they make fans for that.

Today the whole family got some wind going to eat Indian food. My first time ever.
I prefer tacos.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw
That’s the fan I use to combat condensation in the garage!
The instructions say not run the fan 24/7 . But I do , and it has been working fine for months.
I don’t think it generates enuff wind to lift a puppy’s ears like that , I haven’t tried it , so I won’t call fake news. But it does work for  I need it for.
I do have a big old GE somewhere .

Idk about Indian cuisine. That’s loaded with curry?
Tacos are usually the safe bet.
Lucky weather your way.
It was cold overcast damp and windy with some rain here.
I would have the top up on my Miata , or mg midget or spitfire , if I had one .
Inclement weather you know.
I hope to never again try and put on rain gear when I am already half soaked.

Indian food. Did you mean like the three sisters ? Corn beans and squash ? Or India Indian food?

Re: Last Rides - Oops

oldironnow
Hella great pic, (fat)2 !

Re: Last Rides - Oops

monkeyshines wrote

Parked the contraption back with the other newer rabble, front appeared to be reserved for the elderly:

Excellent photo, Mr. Shines !
Good to hear from you.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw
pre and post war chiefs! hell yes!

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw wrote

Idk about Indian cuisine. That’s loaded with curry?

Lucky weather your way.

Indian food. Did you mean like the three sisters ? Corn beans and squash ? Or India Indian food?
Yes, India Indian. Lots of curry in Indian food which is why I stay away from Indian food. It’s my daughters 2nd favorite, after tacos, so I thought I’d give it a try. I ordered a chicken dish that didn’t have curry and some plain flat bread they call nan. The nan was the best part of the meal.

The weather has been good around here. A little warm and humid yesterday. Perfect day for a ride early and floating in the pool afterwards.

Today is cloudy and getting ready to rain.
A great day for watching baggers race.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw
Pool? Your pool is open? Nice.
Mine isn’t and if it was it’s definite not pool weather.
I have to get a couple of filter parts .

Bagger races . I don’t have that much time left on this earth to waste . My girls are playing today so I will leave in an hour for the game.
The weather sucks even for softball . And my sciatica is bad in it. But I am the organizations board rep for this team (23u) so I will soldier on .

If I want to watch bagger races all I need to do is just go down the hill to the  avenue next time the black club , the flaming knights , go by. Those mothers are brutally loud .
Your sidecar rig would fit right in with those Rhienhardts.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

motogrady

I want a pool.

With one of those floating lawn chairs.
The ones with the little cup holders built into the armrests.
With a little refrigerator and wet bar right next to it.
Stocked with stuff to make bloody Mary's.
Bloody Mary's with the Old Bay around the rim of the glass.
Along with an old A.M. radio that runs on batteries that would sit right by the edge of the pool.
And a new set of prescription sunglasses.
The colbalt blue mirror kind that you can't see back into your eyes.
With a few miniature plam tree like plants in pots.
And one of those old answering machines with the recording you make yourself.

Yeah, I want a pool.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

Re: Last Rides - Oops

hacksaw wrote
Pool? Your pool is open? Nice.

Your sidecar rig would fit right in with those Rhienhardts.
Good eye on the Rhienhardts. I thought they would be too loud for the car rider. Yesterday we went under an overpass and my wife said, “That sounded good!” so I guess they aren’t.

Yeah, we opened May 9th which is kinda late for her. It has a natural gas heater so it’s usually opened in April and closed in October. When setting up the purchase it was not much more to add the heat and she gets a couple extra months use out of it.
The pool is the wives gig mostly. It’s an inground fiberglass tub so I didn’t put it in. I did the landscaping and fence around it but she pretty much takes care of it and the main user.
Since I started dialysis I’m cold a lot so I will typically just grill and sit back enjoying the tunes while she and friends enjoy the pool.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

Hella great pic, (fat)2 !
Thanks Mr. Iron.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

Yeah,, that’s pretty much me during pool time.

Re: Last Rides - Oops

Great shot.
How does that rig handle with two in the saddle?
Not enough room for the dog?

Re: Last Rides - Oops

Thanks Walt. I kinda wish there was snow on the ground so that I could use it for our next Christmas Card.

 Two in the saddle and one in the car is a lot of weight for that motor on the hills. It's fine on the flats so I try to choose my routes with less hills if I can.

 As for the handling, if there is a heavier person in the car than there is on the back seat it's best. With just the dog in the car and a person on the back seat I have to really hang to the right to keep the car on the ground. Luckily with this type of riding we are usually just going to the park or something in town. One other thing I noticed with a full rig is braking in the turns makes steering much harder and having to shift, brake and turn in a corner is even harder. My strength has really taken a hit because of messing with the knee since October and my heart is only pumping 30% so gaining it back is a struggle. The sidecar is my gym time.:)

The dog would of had to sit on Lisa's lap so she had to stay home, besides, we were going to an Indian food joint. They don't allow live dogs.

1 ... 14151617181920 ... 26