BSA

Re: BSA

Fatfatboy
That sure is purduy. BSA has got have had produced the best looking fuel tanks.
I’m salivating.

I’ve not given up my desire of another BSA. I’m still hoping a 500 pops up near me. Seems all the ones I’ve found are in California for some reason.

Re: BSA

Allred

An interesting info video on the "Grey-Frame BSAs".......yet another faux pas by the Triumph/BSA/Norton folks.

The 750 Lightning at 3:40 does sound very sweet, nice exhaust note and lack of engine noises.

Mention is made at 11:00 of Karen Young, the model used to promote BSA products of the time, giving a name to the well known photo above.

Some bright designer at Triumph/BSA/Norton at the time decided to make the turn signal mechanism an "up-down" lever, instead of the usual "left-right" design. I guess they failed to realize that a "left-right" button is intuitive, whereas an "up-down" lever is definitely not!  Some riders interpreted "up" as right and "down" as left, others interpreted the exact opposite causing much mayhem on the road! Seriously, you couldn't make this up!!!

Re: BSA

Fatfatboy
Notice the oil supply on the fork. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Re: BSA

Allred
Fatfatboy wrote
Notice the oil supply on the fork. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I've never seen oil carried like that either!

The Gargoyle Mobiloil can in the picture looks to be a reproduction, but original examples fetch a lot of money so if you spot one in a garage sale for cheap snap it up!

Re: BSA

motogrady
Allred wrote
Fatfatboy wrote
Notice the oil supply on the fork. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I've never seen oil carried like that either!

The Gargoyle Mobiloil can in the picture looks to be a reproduction, but original examples fetch a lot of money so if you spot one in a garage sale for cheap snap it up!
Heck, I've never seen a can like that.  The regular round steel cans, the short neck plastic cans, the tall neck offset cans, the cans with the clear stripe with ccs and ounces on the side, but never a steel can like that.

In my business, we use vacuum pumps, they take an oil around the thickness of 20w.
The can there says Vacum Oil Company.  With a "D" stamp on it.  I'm guessing the "D"
is viscosity?

Re: BSA

Allred
motogrady wrote
 I'm guessing the "D" is viscosity?
Could be.................and notice how the quotes on the "D" are "upside down"/"backwards"

Re: BSA

Allred
Check it out..........
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_Oil_Company

Vacuum Oil, then Standard Oil, then Exxon Oil

Re: BSA

motogrady
Allred wrote
Check it out..........
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_Oil_Company

Vacuum Oil, then Standard Oil, then Exxon Oil
Jeepers.......  Espionage. Sabotage. Anti-trust suits. WW2 concentration camps and forced labor.

If you read the notes in that link, that's one hellova history.

 Effin guys played for keeps, that's for sure.

Re: BSA

Re: BSA

Allred

Amazing the effort, design and cost that went into the tank badges on Brit bikes back then, whether they be of the plastic or metal variety. BSA's were particularly flamboyant and exotic, although the later, more simplistic example, as shown in the bottom picture, is probably indicative of the trouble they were in.

Re: BSA