Craigslist Curiosities

1 ... 567891011

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Allred

45hp from a 250 is pretty impressive, but at the price of a liter bike I can't think many were bought as road machines, maybe as "cheap" starter racing bikes?

I guess the different engine configurations in rapid succession were possible due to being based on the pukka racing machines, which I'm sure were a lot more money.

Being water-cooled they wouldn't suffer from exhaust valve overheating on the reverse cylinder model, but it makes you wonder why they did it......maybe they could achieve better exhaust/expansion box design for exhaust evacuation pulses?

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Who wouldn’t want a Norton drag bike?

1968 Norton Commando Drag Bike ( Feb. 1968 ) Frame is a Kosman/Commando mix, looks to be a Honda 350 front end. 18" MT rear drag slick . 750 lower end with 850 top end ported and polished. Lectron Carbs and Hunt magneto . Last running 8 years ago. Has great compression and should run with fuel and oil tank installed. There is NO TITLE for this bike.. Pick up in person or payment via paypal. No holds  $3500

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Who wouldn’t want a Norton drag bike?
Sorta cool.....in a crude, old fashioned way.

The statement.... "should run with fuel and oil tank installed" doesn't instill too much confidence or sales prep!

I think he's sky-hi priced at $3,500...............but maybe just the Norton engine and gearbox is worth that in parts these days?

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Allred wrote

Being water-cooled they wouldn't suffer from exhaust valve overheating on the reverse cylinder model, but it makes you wonder why they did it......maybe they could achieve better exhaust/expansion box design for exhaust evacuation pulses?

.
I think they did it to derive an elegantly simple exhaust system, and maybe to also get the crankshaft a little closer to the front axle. But I believe the compromise in the design arrived with the airbox - not enough volume.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

oldironnow
A survivor from a shop or plant?

A brother-in-law worked at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for decades and the place was rife with Cushman things.

"Nice Cushman, man... Say, how many miles on that there Toyota forklift?"

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Allred wrote

Holy crap! That has to be a record.
I’m glad it’s near you and not me. I’d have to snatch that up and add the 6,000 miles and take it 50,000.

Wait,,,, Redding CA to Pacific MO,,,,,, 2011 miles.
Whew,,, dodged tha bullet.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

How about a Dirtster?

Guy wants $6,000.00 a lot less than the Pan America.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

oldironnow
And zero-tech to fail, too!

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

I do see the clutch cable being an issue if the bike goes in the woods.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/427439448750535/

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/01/05/suzuki-gs500f-best-used-motorcycles-entry-level-naked-bike-review/

I saw this one pop up on Marketplace.
I don’t remember seeing many of these. Looks like a 4 year only model.
Might be the little twisty road burner I’ve been thinking about.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Allred

https://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cottonwood-1967-bsa-650-lightning/7376130220.html

I wasn't going to show you this FatFat, it's just 20 miles from my house............ it's way over-priced anyway, and needs a lot of TLC.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/427439448750535/

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/01/05/suzuki-gs500f-best-used-motorcycles-entry-level-naked-bike-review/

I saw this one pop up on Marketplace.
I don’t remember seeing many of these. Looks like a 4 year only model.
Might be the little twisty road burner I’ve been thinking about.
I've seen those in the metal, and they look kind of bloated. The original and long-issued GS500 is more attractive to me. Put some flat bars on one.... Honest bike.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=58696.0

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=71547.0

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Thanks for the links Oldiron. Looks like I dodged a bullet.
I was supposed to go look at it today but someone beat me to the punch.
I do like the goat name though.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Norton for sale near me. This 75 commando has popped up on market place 30 miles away.
$5,500.00 Add just says “Runs”. Nothing else.

If I hadn’t already bought three other bikes in the last month I’d at least have to go check it out.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

This 75 commando has popped up on market place 30 miles away.
$5,500.00 Add just says “Runs”. Nothing else. If I hadn’t already bought three other bikes in the last month I’d at least have to go check it out.
Looks like a very tired Commando, maybe the $5,500 is better left in your pocket.

.
1 ... 567891011