Craigslist Curiosities

12345678 ... 11

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

The S&S motor is worth several grand . The rest is junk

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 7, 2021, at 1:34 AM, oldironnow [via Cyclevisor.com] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/elizabeth-city-custom-shovelhead-chopper/7273602064.html

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2888.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

I saw that chopper on FB. Had a $20,000 price on it.
They folks on the group were not kind.

I also saw a blue matchless on FB. Asking $4,500.00.
Pretty original bike.
I know nothing about them but that seems a good price.

I spotted a 74 Ironhead that needs to be brought back to live. Pore thing was out in the snow with a coffin tank and missing parts. The fork spring were sticking up out of the tubes so the fork are probably filled with water.

$2k asking price.
I messaged the guy and told him if he wanted that amount he needed to at least put some of the parts back on that he has in the bucket.

The frame had been powder coated and it looks like a nice paint job on the coffin tank but I don’t want the tank.
I offered him $1k and he could keep the tank.
No bite. He said $1,500.00 was his bottom.

He was only selling because he had brought another bike home and the wife told him one had to go.
$2k asking price.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw
What year sportster?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 7, 2021, at 5:00 PM, Fatfatboy [via Cyclevisor.com] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

There once was a biker named Double-Fat. Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze, His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2897.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Sporty tanks are generally cheap , although there has been a big run on 70’s tanks with original graphics . The decals are available though .
I do have a 70’s front end you can have .
Of course I haven’t seen the bike. Might be worth a grand . Say 1500 minus the cost of a tank and whatever else is missing or unusable,  which likely gets back down to a grand. Devil is always in the details .

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 8, 2021, at 5:40 AM, Keith Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ok i see its a 74.
On Jan 2, 2021, at 11:34 PM, Keith Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

No thanks

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 2, 2021, at 7:17 PM, oldironnow [via Cyclevisor.com] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Under 10K. I would think above 10 would be the price.

https://monterey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/salinas-1982-suzuki-katana/7252787529.html

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2574.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

Yeah, I'd say it's worth a grand without the tank. Maybe $1200. Depending what he has in the buckets and what shape the motor is in.

It's a youngin that doesn't really know anything about it. He got if from a widow of a guy that was doing it up and then died. He thinks it's a gold mind and says he has a "bike guy" that "does work for a club" and can get it up and running for $500.00.

Just looking at the pix I can tell there is no way it's road worthy for $500 unless of course all your parts are free and the guy isn't charging him labor.

The title states XLCH but in looking at the photo's it has an e-start so if it is an XLCH someone converted it or was in the process.

It does have a fresh powder coated frame which is nice if a guy is staying with a candy apple red but I would prefer it to be a black frame,, maybe.

I have been window shopping for an Ironhead to build for awhile. I would prefer pre '79 frame and an I really prefer the XLCH platform over the XLH platform but I'm not sure my knee can take the sportster kick punishment any more.

If this bike had been converted it would be interesting to see how that works as the XLCH had the square oil tank under the seat with the smaller battery hanging off the side on the left where as the XLH had the larger battery under the seat with t=an oil back hanging off on the right side. If this has a proper e-start I'm not sure the smaller battery would push the pistons.

If it was closer I would of already looked at it.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw
F2- it maybe that there are a few XLCH factory electric start bikes 77-78. 79 there is only a handful of xlch bikes made. keep in mind that sometime soon after AMF took over HD, the cases are the same for both CH and the H. meaning many Estart bikes had the kicker added later.
also early 79’s don’t always have matching nos. from the factory. not so sure why u like the 79 platform.

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2907.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw wrote
F2- it maybe that there are a few XLCH factory electric start bikes 77-78. 79 there is only a handful of xlch bikes made. keep in mind that sometime soon after AMF took over HD, the cases are the same for both CH and the H. meaning many Estart bikes had the kicker added later.
also early 79’s don’t always have matching nos. from the factory. not so sure why u like the 79 platform.
The XLCH in 74 didn't have an e-start. It was a 1000CC kick only model. The C stands for Compression. It was a stripped down model with higher compression and different cams to compete.
I used to be able to tell the difference between the XLH and CH by sound if they were both running straight pipes. Not sure I could any more.

I knew a guy that converted a CH to e-start. He said it was a pain in the ass and he wished he'd just bought a different bike.

You are correct there were some 77-78 XLCH. I had forgotten or wasn't aware. Looks like they came with dual disc up front but I'm not sure anything else was different as the specs I found on the two showed same compression.

I am not partial to the 79. I'm partial to the pre-79. The 79 was a bastard year with one year only exhaust because the rear master cylinder placement.

79 and up had a different frame with the triangle battery and oil bag compartment area that looks somewhat similar to the modern Sporty.

74 XLCH

74 XLH

79 XLH

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw
Right. The actual difference I believe changes with the AMF bikes. Some people say the true CH ended at that point. I do have an early 70’s frame and front end I could stand to get rid of. If you ever stumble across a motor. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone

hacksaw wrote

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2917.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw wrote
Right. The actual difference I believe changes with the AMF bikes. Some people say the true CH ended at that point. I do have an early 70’s frame and front end I could stand to get rid of. If you ever stumble across a motor.

I have stumbled twice in the last couple weeks
What you want for them?

The last year of the XLCH was 79. They didn’t make many. I think it was less than 200.
AMF left the scene on the 82 models.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw
Not much . But I certainly don’t expect you to drive out here again . Lol.

Sent from my iPhone

hacksaw wrote

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2922.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw wrote
Maybe 300 bucks . But I don’t know exactly what I have . I have a front end with caliper . A frame and swing arm . Small stuff is all mixed up with parts from from all kinds of bikes .
Ok. I need to go back and see if I can find the motors again to see what they are, price, title and such.
If I can get one for the right price I may be getting with you.
It's nothing I'm in a hurry on. Just something I want to do at some point.

My last Ironhead I butchered up through the years but I'd like to to do a somewhat stock version this time around with shocks and such.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw
I understand . Did you fix the bsa?

Sent from my iPhone

hacksaw wrote

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2932.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw wrote
I understand . Did you fix the bsa?
Yes, I got the charging system working. Ended up getting a Podtronics rectifier. Getting 14v now.

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

hacksaw
VERY GOOD. go to the head of the class!

hacksaw wrote

http://cyclevisor-com.215758.n8.nabble.com/Craigslist-Curiosities-tp1265p2937.html
To unsubscribe from Craigslist Curiosities, click here.
NAML

Re: Craigslist Curiosities

motogrady
Noticed this over on eBay.