Racing

1 ... 3456789 ... 42

Re: MotoAmerica next year

You lucky spectator.
I would of been thrilled to watch them walls with motors Zipping it through the corkscrew.

Great Indian vs Harley action.
https://youtu.be/BOFDCnA7zb8

Re: MotoAmerica next year

You lucky spectator.
I would of been thrilled to watch them walls with motors Zipping it through the corkscrew.

Great Indian vs Harley action.
Damn lucky.  Thanks for the link. Gave me a chance to 'see' better and also figure out what was happening around the track.

I left this post at a grumpy conformist yammering in the comments:

@David Mathis  I've read many of your comments here, and I can feel your disdain from this far off. And if you're bitter about the collapse of roadracing in the USA from the packed-grid glory days of the '90s, I can stand with you on that.

And if your have a grudge against Harley for completely, or even willfully, mismanaging their development of the VR1000, I will buy you a beer on that. And if you are running trackdays and streaming MotoGP, WSBK and MotoAm like I am, then we must be brothers of the sport.

But I was at Laguna Seca Sunday, fully ready to mock this class as I stood in the bed of my pickup inside of Turn 10, and the absurdity of it all made me grin wide. And then feeling the SOUND shake the bottom of my lungs... man, I haven't felt that as a spectator since the days of the BOTT. I fell into thoughts of how one would approach this as a rider and a builder. It's the same sport as it has always been.

This is a different class that represents a HUGE culture-crossing group of proud AMERICANS who really dig what their bikes do for them every ride. Bagger culture is really enormous. And if MotoAM wants to tap that market, to get more EYEBALLS and PARTICIPATION to pay the bills and keep Superbikes going, then MAN... I. Am. All. For. It.
Plus!
I owned an 883R once - literally loved it to its death - and if I could've gotten it with wide radial 17s, radial-mount Brembos, foot pegs behind the swingarm pivot, REAL DAMN suspension, I would've bought the hulk back from the insurance company. But I was killing it trying to make it do things it could never properly achieve.
That's why I'm excited about this class. Maybe this will inject some passion for handling into what Harley Davidson decides to build tomorrow.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

oldironnow
Just comparing views of the different classes tells me Stock1000 will be pushed into Superbikes next year and Baggers will find a home in the schedule.

MotoAM will want them in the series; just look at the ewe-tube views.

Superbikes 10K
Supersport 9K
Twins Cup 11K
Baggers 176K, with a bullet.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

oldironnow

David Mathis
1 day ago
I got no problem owning my distain for this. I'd have a better since  of humor about it if we had more than 1 American rider in all 3 moto gp classes or if pikes peak still allowed bikes and if the main sponsor of this part unlimited didn't stop sponsoring Supercross last year in favor of comedy racing like this.

Sometime anger is the correct feeling.

REPLY

1 day ago
@David Mathis  Okay, fine. I, too, drag some anger around with me everyday. That doesn't make it useful for me, but there it is.
Let me understand your issues clearly.
You're pissed because roadracing - always a tenuous sport here - has collapsed as a pastime in America.
Fans aren't coming out to roadracing. Grids are thin. MotoGP only shows in Texas. WSBK has left the building.
And dirt bike riding is still big for Americans. Huge. They love goofing off in the dirt. Whee.
Stadiums full of people watching SX. And Parts Unlimited has left that building, too.
So you're mad about it.
Armored-gloved hands balled in fists of rage and ill-humor.
Frustrated about being 'here,' when you want to be 'there', back in the good ol' days.
Before the days when the DMG and Great Recession, broke the American pipeline to the Series' of the World.
When the Europeans and Japanese decided to only gamble on riders they knew.
And not just familiar riders, but riders who could pay for their rides by bringing sponsorship money to the team.
Money became crazy tight for over a decade.
And this came after Suzuki and Kawasaki almost fold their motorcycle divisions together to survive ... in 2001.
Tightness. 20 years of tight money.
Then MotoAM bought in.
Established direct lines with the Series' of the World to create a trusted avenue to send American riders abroad.
Solid names in the business re-set the foundation of American roadracing, and established a legitimate broadcast system, so they can control their medium.
Because that's what this is - an entertainment channel (checked MotoGP's level of production? Yessir.)
And the same level of nobody came out to the tracks.
So they look around and take a risk where there's a lot of American energy and money, and MotoAm tries to bring that into the sport, to keep the whole thing alive.
And that's the end of the world?
You've decided to upset about American's love affair with dirt-based racing, and middle-of-America straight-road baggers, and the fact the Parts Unlimited spends their advertising dollars where they find the most eyeballs.
And that, I believe, without malice, is an irrational take on what's transpired.
MotoAm is trying to build a road out of the wilderness, and you're not only pissed about THAT, you're pissed that the wilderness even exists.
But i get it; anger can be sustaining. Like I said - I carry some around with me, everywhere I go.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

motogrady
I can see both sides.
Mathis is apparently hardcore, wishing and wanting our series to be a miniature clone of The Dorna Show.
But, as many before him have done, he writes magazine articles, not checks to keep a series going.

The world is full of his kind.

Wayne and MotoAmerica hopefully do what the need to keep the lights on.  If that is a baggers class, or a vtwin class, do whatever it takes.

  Fill those effin stands.
oldironnow wrote
[...]

You west coasters get all the good stuff.
https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/new-california-roadrace-association-cra-series-starts-in-2021/

Looks like another place for the Bagger series.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

oldironnow
That is exciting, though I still have a grudge against Trackdaz for canceling a trackday at the last minute and then refusing to hand back my cash. I thought it was a bitch move when stood up against the standard rule of no refunds for rain or if you can't make it for some reason.

I called him. He said he didn't have enough takers on the weekend, so he cancelled it.
Can I have my cash back?
No. Just pick out another trackday.
I told my year was solid with work and family stuff - likely right into winter.
Well, too bad. Click.
My brother had more free time, so he found a weekend later on and bought it off me.
Alls well that ends well, and yet the grudge has some nice handles that make hauling around a breeze.

2021 could be cool.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Yeah,,, that's crap. He cancelled, not you.
Carry on.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Re: MotoAmerica next year

motogrady

Lol......effin Zarco.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

motogrady

Saw a pretty good interview with Joe Roberts the other day.
Said he turned down a motogp ride from Aprillafor next year.

He feels he needs to win a few in moto2 before moving up to the big show.  Plus, he felt obligated to his current team, as he already signed with them for 2021.

Looks like we have to wait another year for a yank to mix it up in the premier class ☹️

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Smart move by Roberts. Shows integrity as well.
I hope next year he it’s the top step,,,, a lot!

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Marc Marquez had to have a third surgery grafting some hip bone to the funny bone.
Could take up too 6 months for recovery.
Could be another interesting year next year.

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/153946/marquez-has-third-surgery-facing-sixmonth-recovery/amp/

Re: MotoAmerica next year

oldironnow
What if Marquez is suddenly... done.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Marc Marquez had to have a third surgery grafting some hip bone to the funny bone. Could take up too 6 months for recovery.
Wow, that could certainly change things!

Re: MotoAmerica next year

What if Marquez is suddenly... done.
Boy,,, wouldn’t that be a big flip of the switch for MotoGP.
It would open the top step for several of the newer talents. Maybe even give Rossi a chance for the 10th.

If I was being honest I’d have to say that it would make the GP more interesting. Watching the same guy winning over and over gets a bit boring.
Although it would be a shame to see such talent fad away at such a young age.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Smart move if you assume the Aprillia is a dog
I think that is part of Roberts decision making.
I read another article that he wants to win not just be an American in the GP.
He made big strides last season over the season before where he never raced higher than 10th.
My assumption is he plans and hope to win more this next year so that he stands a better chance at a seat with a winning team like Ducati.

If my thinking is correct this is the third rider to pass on the Aprilia seat. Not good for Aprilia.

Re: MotoAmerica next year

Re: MotoAmerica next year

1 ... 3456789 ... 42