Uncle Ernie’s Place

1 ... 45678910 ... 27

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

I passed on the sidehack. Ended up with four wheels instead of three. Damn Marketplace.

I guess I gotta get me some brylcream.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

If anyone cares, that is a 1960-1962 slimline-featherbed-framed, Norton 600 (or 500) Dominator twin purchased new in Liverpool UK.

I see it has a tube-creep pad in the front wheel, something I have never seen before on a Norton of that period.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

motogrady

Rimlocks over here.

If I might ask, what are the main differences between a featherbed and a featherbed slim?

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

I passed on the sidehack. Ended up with four wheels instead of three. Damn Marketplace.

I guess I gotta get me some brylcream.
You keep a nice place Kirk.  I'll make sure Donna don't see this one.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Rimlocks over here.

If I might ask, what are the main differences between a featherbed and a featherbed slim?

The Manx "featherbed" was the first edition of the famous frame. It was made in very limited numbers specifically for racing and made of 16 gauge Renolds 531 manganese-molybdenum steel alloy.

It's simplistic double-sided, single-loop, head-stock to head-stock design made it easy to manufacture yet extremely strong, while also making gas-tank fitment really easy due to its "flat" top rails.

A road-going version was made, this time out of more economic thicker gauge, grade "A" mild steel, but almost identical in shape, which later became known as the "wideline". The main visual difference between the Manx and the road-going wideline (apart from the narrower gauge tubing) is the curve of the rear frame rails begin earlier on a Manx and therefore has a gentler radius than the road-going wideline. The difference is fairly minor and it can be difficult to determine a Manx from a wideline in photographs.

Some riders commented that the wideness of the frame rails at the point where the seat met the gas tank caused discomfort on the inner thighs on the wideline featherbed, and so in 1960 the Slimline featherbed version was introduced with the top frame rails "pinched" at the rider's thigh position to allow for greater comfort. The rear shock support arms were also changed from being a straight strut to being a curved support, and with larger upper shock brackets. These curved shock supports and larger upper brackets are the easy way to spot a slimline over a wideline.

As the slimline frame rails are narrower as they extend rearward, the gas tank fitted to the wideline no longer fit the slimline, so a new, taller gas tank (and seat) was designed. This makes it very easy to spot a slimline or wideline when in standard form (as in OldIron's original picture above).

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow
Allred - thank you for that lesson. Just, amazing. I was wondering how you derived the species from a single downtube... of course, there was also the tank - just amazing to me. Slimline, Wideline, Manx - got it.

ffboy - you is amazing, too. Congratulations!

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Slimline,,, Harley should look into this. Their frames have gotten wider making it hard for short legged folks (me) to reach the ground flat footed.

Thanks for the class time Allred.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

ffboy - you is amazing, too. Congratulations!
Thanks but a amazing would be if I'd actually built it. I just paid for it, a lot cheaper than building one.
T-buckets are like choppers. Build it for $30k, sell it for half the cost with 1548 miles on it.

It seems the way it goes for me lately. Too busy working, paying the rent to build something so just buying others "I'm done with this" and not really bonding with them.

I miss build time. The sparks flying, the smells of burnt metal, Bondo, laying down of paint, wet sanding to a gleaming finish with the sound of ZZ Top La Grange digging on the radio. Ohhh man that is great time.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow

I like it.

Still, always too backend low. Always wishing for the flow of the bike to be at least flat, instead of tail-low.

But that looks like a fun Sportster.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/croig-harley-davidson-sportster-charity-build/

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Still, always too backend low. Always wishing for the flow of the bike

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/croig-harley-davidson-sportster-charity-build/

.
Not asslow

It’s a RSD made jobbie. I’m not sure why he doesn’t sell this setup in a kit.
I would’ve used it on my roadster.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Not asslow

It’s a RSD made jobbie. I’m not sure why he doesn’t sell this setup in a kit.
I would’ve used it on my roadster.
:)
asslow - you went with it. Nice.

I don't remember what RSD bike it was, but on some racy Sportster project they had 10 years ago, I was crazy about the stuff they put on it. The whole thing - stem to stern. So I emailed them, asking 'hey man that Sporty is great, I really like it, When can I buy these things on it, ya-ya-ya...'

To which they replied something like - 'we're not going to produce any of it.'  I think they are cautious about chasing that segment of the market.

You and me and three others probably make up all five of us in the USA.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

You and me and three others probably make up all five of us in the USA.
You could add Doughboy to that five.
He is digging the 883 I sold him. Rides the crape out of it. The shocks and forks need some real improvement for him.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

China made Harley spotted in Missouri 😀

Sounds like a bubble machine from Willie Wonka

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

That dyna looks like it belongs to a stunta.
I like the smile. It’s confused. Sorta like the bike is.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Pops and I in Da Bucket.

I know it’s not bike related but I like it.
It was the first he saw it.
I forced him to except the key and take it for a drive. He giggled. Put a big smile on my face.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow
That looks like a good day. Props.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

The Bucket was a good move.

Re: Fwd: Uncle Ernie’s Place

That dyna looks like it belongs to a stunta.
I like the smile. It’s confused. Sorta like the bike is.
The commitment all around to full-floating rotors caught my eye.
An unusual take for the breed.
I had to walk over and make sure I was seeing it correctly.
Then the smile sucked me in when I wondered what the tiny font was saying.
Supports splitting everywhere.
1 ... 45678910 ... 27