"WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

1 ... 11121314151617 ... 23

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

m143
You might need to reduce some trail to ease steering effort.

Fatfatboy wrote
Dogs can become part of the family to some. They always have in our family. Every since I was a kid.
My daughter has a couple hairy wiener dogs that are like her children. She takes hers to work too.
We’re just dog people.

Last week a gal brought her support cat to church with her. I’m not quite that reliable on my dogs.

As for the rig, yesterday the wife and I spent the day riding around it. I learned the trick to start it.
Two twist of the throttle, push the electric leg button and it fires right up most of the time. If not I repeat and it fires.
I may still get a 1.7kw starter for it.

I also discovered that 93 octane isn’t enough. Gets a little pingy under-load. I put some octane boost in it last night. I’ll see if it improves today.

Since I’ve been down since September my muscle tone has been kinda sad. My back muscles felt it this morning from steering the bike around. I was thinking about going to a gym but this bike may just take its place. More fun too.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw

Brought this Victor Special  home yesterday.
That my pal Joe on the bike. He was huge in helping.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

No taco neck allowed

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

m143 wrote
You might need to reduce some trail to ease steering effort.
Thanks for that info. I'll see if I can slide the tubes up into the trees.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Taco taco man!
I want to be a taco man!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
trim.MOV

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

grado
Had a rock crack a side case like that on a Husky 250 motocross bike.
Had it tig welded.
Warped it enough to where it never totally sealed.
2 gaskets, silicone, permatex, there always was a dust ring
all around the cover.
That was when they were made in Sweden, effin everything
about it was expensive.
So much so, I just lived with it.

Ps… How did you put that clip up?
Loaded to another site? Then here?
Uploaded right from your phone?

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
Straight from the phone.
Short files.
Choose the from the ‘More’ button on the far right.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
JB Weld or wait for a new one or both ?

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

You should have considered planing the cover .
Or milling . Don’t know the correct terminology .
In the future take it to a welder that knows how to bleed off the heat

Sveden at one time was a great manufacturer. Volvo , Saab , husky.
They make anything there anymore ?
My great grandfather was one of a long tradition of svedish blacksmith cum machinists that immigrated here to the USA in the late 1800’s.
It’s hard to believe America threw away its manufacturing base. Idk how a small country such as sveden can survive without its once busy factories .

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

JB weld will work . But I would suggest drilling a hole at the end of the crack to prevent further splitting .
The  problem is going to be having all the bolt holes line up with the screw holes in the case

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw wrote
You should have considered planing the cover .
Or milling . Don’t know the correct terminology .
In the future take it to a welder that knows how to bleed off the heat

Sveden at one time was a great manufacturer. Volvo , Saab , husky.
They make anything there anymore ?
My great grandfather was one of a long tradition of svedish blacksmith cum machinists that immigrated here to the USA in the late 1800’s.
It’s hard to believe America threw away its manufacturing base. Idk how a small country such as sveden can survive without its once busy factories .
Ya, I'm with you on all that.
Thinking back on it, '71 or '72, when I had that bike, being in High School, we welded it up in metal shop.  That's how it got warped lol.

And ya, the Swedes had it going on.
When it started popping out of 2nd gear, I tore the motor down and found there were 4 little squares, or tits,  on the main shaft of the transmission.
One side of the tits were getting kind of rounded, under load it would just overpower the shifting fork and just pop out of gear.
I figured we could just file or throw it on a lathe and take a bit off, sharpen or square em up and it would be okay.

There was nothing in that Votech shop that could cut that Swedish steel.
We broke every bit, die or tool trying to work it.

It was the hardest piece of metal in the whole freaking shop.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw
i didn't know shit in 71-72 myself.
but ya learn. sometimes it cost ya, especially when young and dumb. but for  high school metal
 shop you actually did good job.

Svedish steel. lol.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Did you have a tipsy or a slide down the road?

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Did you have a tipsy or a slide down the road?
Ratana has a great desire to roll off its sidestand with even the least amount of downhill grade.

This is the third collapse in the past 15 months.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Aaauuuggghh! Pity. Sorry man.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw wrote
JB weld will work . But I would suggest drilling a hole at the end of the crack to prevent further splitting .
The  problem is going to be having all the bolt holes line up with the screw holes in the case
I really wanted to do that, just to see if i could in a future field repair situation. But that damn River company had a replica version in stock less than 24 hours away forctge same price as ebay used. The new cover lacks the internal ribbing. I expect it to bust on the next tip-over. Doubt there will be two damage-free crashes in the future.
So i put that one on especially since the original had cracked through a bolt hole and there was displacement between the sides of the crack.
I needed it to run today.
Got it done.
Did 80 miles.