"WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

1 ... 13141516171819 ... 23

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Friday after work I finally got around to giving the Buell some love since purchasing it and changed the primary juice and the motor oil.

I don’t have any history on this bike but it doesn’t look like it’s primary has been changed in quite some time.

I pulled the chin fairing of expecting the sideways oil filter that I’m used to seeing on Sportsters, that gets oil in hidden places during removal, and found the filter in a horizontal position. I wonder why Harley never adopt this? So much better than the horizontal filter.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Never saw one. And that included 2 85’s friends own . One bought new.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Just google 1985 fxst and you’ll see what I am talking about. It didn’t come with a wide pedal.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Here ya go.

https://youtu.be/o9PpxDsSn6E

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw
i would like to see proof that that bike came that way factory. i dont think those are factory forward controls either.
i know ken personally and have sold motorcycles to him. i dont want to put him in a negative light.
he is a decent guy. a little bit larger than life though.
regardless, that would have to be an extremely rare bird. for every one possibly sold they would have sold thousands of non kickers. i have even seen shovel head fxe's that claim to be 1985 with out kickers.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Just google 1985 fxst and you’ll see what I am talking about. It didn’t come with a wide pedal.
that i realize. i actually took the lollipop off my 79 FXEF. they never stay tight .
but that doesn't prove anything. that bike in the video has a ton of aftermarket stuff on it.
and its not an FXST.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw
apparently 1986 WG came with kickers.
as i admitted earlier i dont know the evo FXST? or FLWGE, lol. whatever they aphabetted, bikes are.
so if these guys are right that the "86 was the last HD with a kicker, that makes kens video  claim incorrect .

i never like the  faux chopper look of WG models so i never followed their availability.
everybody whom wanted to be an easy rider wannabee bought a new wide glide instead of building a proper pan. now a certain nostalgic bend has creeped into my soul. so  for fun i mocked up a WG front end on my FXEF .
if i was ever going to actually run it that way i would have to cut the fork tubes down. i still dont like the extended fork look on a stock swing arm frame. too much like cb750 nerds with 6 over front ends and highway pegs of the 70's. yuck!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

 Today I added a Mustang seat to the trike.
I found a good deal on it because it is a seat that is made for short armers. It moves you forward 2” which is perfect for me but not the person who bought it.

This means I’m not stretching my arms past full extent when turning the forks in the parking lot maneuvers. I also get to sit more straight up now giving my back some relief.

I love Mustang seats.  They transform a 200 mile day to 800 mile days, if needed.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Mustang Seats originated here in my hometown of Terryville.

And today is Ride to Work Day...

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Yup. Rode to work.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw
i havent "worked" in 16 years. and i didn't ride.
but i did bring home a roller. from queens ny.
look for my new thread.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
I rode Ratana over the hill from San Jose today to the best of my ability.

Got to pass a co-worker in a tractor-trailer and give him a wave.

Close as I came to my old work.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw wrote
look for my new thread.
Looking forward to it

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
I tried to refresh the rear brake pads on Ratana.

Unfortunately, it seems one of the caliper pistons is stuck.

Moved to the fronts and monkey-fumbled with tge right for what, in retrospect, seemed like an hour but was probsbly 15 minutes until I realized the parts counter gave me two sets of lefts.

I thought i was ready for the glue factory.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
Then I found out the front brake pivot bolt had lost its nut and was on its way to leaving….

IMG_4057.mov

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
I parked due to an assumed steering head bearing issue.
Haven’t gotten to it.
Sometimes i take it out over Hwy17 and the pure torque wave makes me forget about my assumptions.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Today I had the "3000 mile" service for the Daytona 765. It only had 1800 miles on the odo but the computer put a nice "OVERDUE" (due to time) message on the dash just to irritate me into coming in for service. I left nearly $500 lighter but she runs like a dream. Oil, brake fluid, coolant all changed and ecu software checked for firmware updates (none, as it turns out). Should be good to thrash for another year. 😉
Way to take care of those calipers !

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

oldironnow
To put away the SecaHut, i have to clear the bikes out of the garage,
And since the garage was going to be clear, it was time to gut and clean that half of the garage - bottom to top.
And since Ratana was in the way of everything, I had to finish the oil change and replacement of the leaking oil engine cover gasket.
Simple work, but the stater idler gear shaft had become one with the amazon eggshell-thin cover. I’m not sure if that’s normal - the old cover offers enough clearance for the shaft to spin freely. And someone on Gixxer.com complained of the same issue.
I put the cover in the warmed oven for nine minutes, not wanting to warp the cover, and it came free with some tweaking from an inserted Phillips.
I cleaned out the anti-seize I had dabbed in before, and then lightly relieved the hole with some sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit.
Then I used the warm oven to reheat and broil some leftover fries.
Buttoned it up. Will start it tomorrow.

1 ... 13141516171819 ... 23