Real Rides.

1 ... 78910111213 ... 19

Re: Seen at the Dealership

m143 wrote
Kirk scroll down, 100th Anniversary Hacked in Fla.

Sweet Sidecars have a great reputation.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/hacks-related-cl-ebay-other-finds-of-interest-not-flea-market-no-inmate-ads-allowed.492526/page-1228
Thanks Walt. That is a sweet setup. Pretty good price too. The mileage on the bike really drags the price down I guess. The door is a nice feature.

I spotted this 2003 rig in western Missouri.

It's a Harley TLE car. I like that it has the disc brake on it. I really want a brake if I go with a sidecar.
This one only has 2500 miles on it.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw wrote
Is it really being “out there”
It depends on what your "there" is.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
You never heard the expression in the wind?

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
I wonder what , if anything , a side car brake makes any    difference?

That anniversary rig looks just the ticket.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

Sidecars are way cooler than trikes.
And the passenger to driver relationship is really great on long rides.
Donna navigates from the sidecar.
"Hey babe...hand me my cocktail".

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
Well Fat2 said he likes his wife playing back warmer, so idk.
Side cars are cool , but not with my street/driveway vertical configuration .
A friend of mine once had a crazy 45 Harley chopper trike that had reverse . Do these new trikes have reverse ?
I would need a reverse .

Re: Seen at the Dealership

Yes, The Harley trikes come with starter driven reverse. They say they are good for a quick backup but not for racing up hill in reverse? The gear driven ones would be a better option IMO.

 Heck,,, there's been times I wish I had that feature on my dressers.
I think the Goldwings come with it.

The sidecar rig above does not have reverse.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
With a trike I could pull up past my drive way and back up to the driveway across the street . Then pull straight up into my driveway .
A side car not. That's why I never registered my Jawa .

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw wrote
You never heard the expression in the wind?

Of all the bikes I have in the garage, this R6 is the most fairied bike, and it offers almost no protection compared to the barn-door-shod Harleys I've occasionally ridden.

I prefer to be buffeted in the Wind. I know Wind. We've met.

But the discussion was about choosing a four-wheel vehicle instead of a motorcycle, and if that choice came (comes) to me, I would chose any motorcycle or scooter if I could still ride.

In whatever shape or style I could make happen.

And that ethic is how I approach encouraging people to get into the sport.

Whatever it takes - just get out there.

The experience is so worthwhile, and the act of motorcycling is so freeing, I don't put qualifiers on it anymore.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

motogrady

If anyone is interested I got a call last night.
Buddy of mine has a line on and older guy on his 90s that has an 80s Goldwing trike.
The deal was then they chopped off the rear basically and put 2 wheels and tires on it.
It was some kind of kit. .
I think he said it was a 1500cc.

Don’t know the miles, no pics as of yet.
Clear title.
He asked if I’d put it up here.
He is supposed to get that stuff tonight, (he doesn’t do internet, so he’s gotta wait on his wife to do it, 🤷‍♂️).

He’s talking 5k.

I get the stuff I’ll put it up.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

My reply was theoretical.
Comparing an almost fully enclosed bagger to a street rod t bucket that  may even have adjustable windshield .
Wasn’t meant as any kind of personal reference.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
My reply was theoretical.
Comparing an almost fully enclosed bagger to a street rod t bucket that  may even have adjustable windshield .
Wasn’t meant as any kind of personal reference.
A semantic misunderstanding on my part.

We are essentially discussing a concentric set of Venn Diagram circles.

I appreciate your commitment to a deftly spare ethic.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
Venn diagrams are the province of Kamala Harris.
I don’t follow her Schlick

Re: Seen at the Dealership

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
Venn diagrams are the province of Kamala Harris.
I don’t follow her Schlick

Re: Seen at the Dealership

monkeyshines
I can give a perspective of a season on a freewheeler. Not so much a sidecar as I’ve ridden one only a short distance. Though I have looked into them as I had argued, ultimately unsuccessfully, for a switch to a sidecar rig over the freewheeler. Girl doesn’t want to ride in a sidecar, period.

After a year with the freewheeler though, the thing does a lot really well, it’s super convenient, a great daily get on and go machine. The backup motor is big and strong, backs the trike up my 20 degree driveway, has backed it up out of culverts. Super easy to park despite its fat rear end.

Powerslides the arse around in the grass, wheelies on pavement. Way maneuverable, tight handling on turns and the twisty, handles the same left and right, it’s a solid feeling machine. Twisty stuff is great fun. Something like the dragon would be wild. But definitely harsh on rough stuff, and it’s hard to miss potholes.

Both sidecars and trikes lose countersteering and the straight line centrifugal self centering thing motorcycles have, you can’t really take your hands off at speed. Two wheelers have an advantage long distance at higher speed imo, I read of guys touring on trikes, maybe I’m still a noob.

I was going to say there might be a reason Harley went to trikes over sidecars, liability or safety reasons, but then I see they still sell a sidecar setup.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/content/dam/h-d/documents/police/my-police-side-car.pdf

It would be nice to have both. Sidecars can have a higher contraption porn vibe I think.
But between the two this freewheeler makes much more sense for us, as a frequent ride, and likely more hassle free. And it’s also ridiculous fun, that coming from someone who was biased against them.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
Thanks for the post.
I think I would go for the trike but not for the prices of them  at this time.
Freewheeler is hot roddish where as the EGlide style one would be too car like to bother.
But as I still am able to function riding motorcycles I will tend to continue to be in the pursuit of the bikes that allow me to do just that.
Maybe a trike for my 80th bday?

Re: Seen at the Dealership

If anyone is interested I got a call last night.
Buddy of mine has a line on and older guy on his 90s that has an 80s Goldwing trike.
The deal was then they chopped off the rear basically and put 2 wheels and tires on it.
It was some kind of kit. .
I think he said it was a 1500cc.

Don’t know the miles, no pics as of yet.
Clear title.
He asked if I’d put it up here.
He is supposed to get that stuff tonight, (he doesn’t do internet, so he’s gotta wait on his wife to do it, 🤷‍♂️).

He’s talking 5k.

I get the stuff I’ll put it up.

A bit more on this GW trike.
41,000 on the clock.
It’s an ‘88.
Fuel injected.
The conversion was done using the Factoy Honda Kit.
The gentleman’s wife passed, he’s going thru his paperwork
looking for the title.  It’s hard. But it’s there. Worse case he gets a duplicate.
He had 2 of them.
The guy that bought the 1st one threw a battery in it and rode it home.  Both were maintained well.
The 2nd one should do the same.

Anyone interested just get me.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

Nice post, Mr. ‘Shines

Thanks for the glittering “higher contraption porn vibe” language-diamond.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

hacksaw
I think I like the idea of sitting on the middle ala a trike . Rather than “off set” as on a sidecar rig. If my explanation makes any sense.
Maybe a stockish servi car would be cool.

Re: Seen at the Dealership

Thanks for the info on the trike, Mr. Shines. Very helpful. The pothole thing is what almost all trike riders have said is the only real complaint but that issue is the same with a sidecar.

I am on the fence as to which way to go. I think the trike is more suited for me but the sidecar would let me take the dog tag along easily.
I'm sure I could make something work on a trike but the sidecar would be easier and it has the coolness factor. In my experiences do prefer the ride of a trike over a sidecar. I wish I could borrow a properly set up rig to see if the dog would take to it as she is the only real reason for the sidecar.

I ended up with another knee infection over the weekend and had to have the same knee cut back opened so at this point a reverse is going to preferred.

I wasn't aware that the sidecar was still available from HD. The brochure states it's for cops only so I guess a used one will need to be found. Better on the wallet.

Maybe a trike and a sidecar will need to take place of a few of my other bikes.

1 ... 78910111213 ... 19