Real Rides.

1 ... 13141516171819

Re: Fatboy’s rig

A guy I used to ride with had a Road King in that same color scheme except he had the traditional hard bags.
It was a sweet looking ride.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

m143 wrote
I wonder if Bronson belonged to AA?
Ha! Do you need Road side assistance for a 25’ ride?
Ask pattimelt.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

A guy I used to ride with had a Road King in that same color scheme except he had the traditional hard bags.
It was a sweet looking ride.
I think that one if the years the cam chain wastes motors but it’s a nice ride.

I don’t care for the Japanese cruiser
The scout is horrible in all black . More so  with tge ugliest part of the motor highlighted in bright.

But they are out riding which alas , I am not.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

Nope on the cam chain issue. 2000-2005 or 2006 is the cam tensioners. I think in 2007 Harley updated the better system.

He traded his in on a Bagger with a fairing.
His road king had 108,000 miles on it when he traded.
He was retired and rode the crap out of it.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

hacksaw
Yes 2007 was upgraded in baggers.
A friend had/has same  color scheme as this bike we are talking about. Can tensioner grenaded . But I didn’t know the year it is.
If I kept my anniversary bike I would have had it upgraded at some point

Re: Fatboy’s rig

I sent her an email last week.

I think we’re on ignore.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

hacksaw
Idk. Maybe u r right. How odd.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

hacksaw wrote
If I kept my anniversary bike I would have had it upgraded at some point
Just curious. Why, didn’t it only have like 800 miles on it or something like that?
 They were supposed to be good for at least 30k miles.
I guess I lucked out on my fatboy.  It went to 50,000 miles before I changed the tensioners. One was still in good shape  but the other was about a 1/16” thick so I probably caught it just in time.
I went back with tensioners. I figured the OEM ones lasted 50,000 and the aftermarket ones were made better. At that point the fatboy was not my main ride anymore so they should out last me.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

hacksaw
Well I am saying if I kept it . Harley told me not to worry about it until 15,000 I think he said.
I likely would have went with the Harley update .
I do like the S&s gear fix but I think it might be noisy.
Anyway it was a great bike. I just couldn’t move it around with my back .

Re: Fatboy’s rig

Re: Fatboy’s rig

The 07-16 twin cams are the only way to go IMO. They had the cam tensioner issue resolved and the motors are solid.
Easily a 100,000+ mile motor.
The 103ci is probably the most solid big big twin.
The 110 has had some issues but is a fun motor.

I wouldn’t own a first year M8.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

hacksaw
I think evo sportster motors are the most solid HD motors ever . And they have been 4 cams for decades.
No catalytic crap. No rear cylinder shuts off in traffic.
Regular old air cooked motor. Rock  solid and uncomplicated.

There are perhaps a couple of new Harley’s I could like enuff to own. The ST standard and maybe a couple of others of that ilk. I think with a 21” front wheel I coukd move the bike around. But at this time I could not justify the price .

Re: Fatboy’s rig

Chicago alley parking.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

oldironnow

In-law’s new ride.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

Sweetness

Re: Fatboy’s rig

m143
That's a sweet bike!

Re: Fatboy’s rig

oldironnow
I’d turned him onto the PanAm when it came out, but he’s been waiting for his finances to be perfect before buying.
In the meantime the new BMW GS caught his eye.
My advice was to stick with HD.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

Great advice from Oldiron.
The Pan Am is topping GS sales since it’s coming out.
Probably a better financial decision as well.
With the Beemer cost of visiting the dealer for valve adjustments I’m sure he will come out ahead in the long run.
Plus the CVO Pan Am is much better looking.

Re: Fatboy’s rig

Great advice from Oldiron.
The Pan Am is topping GS sales since it’s coming out.
Probably a better financial decision as well.
With the Beemer cost of visiting the dealer for valve adjustments I’m sure he will come out ahead in the long run.
Plus the CVO Pan Am is much better looking.
That's the gist of it.
He told me the service cost for a BMW is $1600 versus $800 for HD.

My contributions to the discussion were -

I'm leery of 1st-gen machines.
GS handlebar width re: splitting, almost four inches wider than last gen, 1.5 inches wider than the PanAm.
His shins/knees interacting with cylinders.
BMW parts are stone expensive, often needing entire assemblies replaced.
Adaptive height of the GS is 1.2 versus three inches for HD.
701 US HD dealers versus 147 for BMW.
Supports splitting everywhere.
1 ... 13141516171819