Uncle Ernie’s Place

1 ... 24252627

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow
This page speaks to those days before.
Experimentation.
Eyeball engineering.
RAKE !

https://chopperbuildershandbook.com/har1.html

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Those handlebars are an unwanted answer to the question of control.
I wonder if the tubing was mandreled or welded.

The pullback bars look proper.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

hacksaw
Agreed on the “6 bend” pull backs.
A shorter fork might be nice in some applications.
But as used are just too spindly .

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow
Crazy trees leaning the wrong way for the corner.

A very inviting section, there.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Those tracks look like rim benders. I bet they created a jolt at GP speeds.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

I love that house!

I don’t think those tracks are that bad .
I do wonder why they would be situated so close to the finish of the race?

Missouri is just too flat for me. I appreciate the long uncluttered rural roads , but need the fun of riding pulling torque up some hills . Actually I never cared all that much about twistiest per say. My Brit bikes liked swooping thru curves , but my vtwins have had a real freight train like grunt pulling down low against long hills. Even short hills make for a lot of fun with the throttle.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow

This is the track as it was run in 1975.

It's hard to tell the orientation of the photographer to the circuit.
The light could be morning light, or afternoon light. Hard to say.
But the 1975 start/finish line track-crossing is an overpass today.
Maybe it was back in the day as well.
Which makes the northern crossing a lower speed jolt.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

hacksaw wrote
Missouri is just too flat for me. I appreciate the long uncluttered rural roads , but need the fun of riding pulling torque up some hills . Actually I never cared all that much about twistiest per say. My Brit bikes liked swooping thru curves , but my vtwins have had a real freight train like grunt pulling down low against long hills. Even short hills make for a lot of fun with the throttle.
It's not as flat as you might think. In the 69,000 square miles of the state we have flat areas which is mostly north half. We also have five or six mountain ranges and the interior highlands at Lake of the Ozarks area.
The south is where the hills are at. The closer you get to Arkansas the more mountainous it gets.

I'm fortunate to live right at the split where the flat and hills meet. If I want a more leisure ride I go north. If I want more technical I go south. If it were not for the cold in November through February and the humidity in late July and August I'd call it the perfect place to live. Of course if it was perfect it would be overly crowded which would ruin it.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

whatarush
Grand Army Rd…another great little road for a slow cruise

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Yup, I got stuck behind a diesel puking truck and trailer on T and switched to Grand Army.

For my quick after work circle I do OO to Basset Rd which comes out to T at St. Albans. Then T to V to 47 to 50 east to Route 66 west and cross over to the S. Service Rd then south on AH to Mozelle, over the RR tracks to Old Cove Rd, left on Mill Hill then left on Oak Grove Church Rd to Willow Ford Rd to N to O back in to town.

If I have more time I'll take N out to 30 to FF then H over to WW back up to Grubville. Now that the chip-n-seal is gone on WW it's fun again.
If I have even more time I'll shot over to BB off 30 towards Hillsboro and take 21 to Desoto and hit H and WW that direction.

COME ON SPRING!!!

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

hacksaw
🤮🤮🤮

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

I can understand. Cool.

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
I can understand. Cool.
I getchya.

I'm infatuated with the machine underneath all the fiberglass.

The guy selling it helped make the deal between Buell and HD a reality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Battley

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

motogrady

Cool link Oldiron.

I think the very first road racers Buell built used Yamaha
TZ 750 4 cylinder motors.
Made 10 of them I believe.
He somehow got in with HD and ran with them.

I never knew how that happened……..till now.

Thx guy, great link.👍

Re: Uncle Ernie’s Place

hacksaw
Buell was an engineer employed by Harley.
1 ... 24252627