"WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

1 ... 20212223

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady

Smoke Dog Lives!

Ya it’s an L I do believe.
That one and a 750K are on ice right now.
Coming out of the winter the 750 SS is gettin the love right now.

The Goose is impressive guy.
Really.
What is and how did that one happen?

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke-dog
This ebay seller has new CDI's for the GS450 built by him that are about the same price as used untested units...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231364764988?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=oLVNFwmHQV6&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke-dog
The Grey Goose is a 1981 GS750L (GSX motor) with a stage 4 jet kit, GSXR tail light, front suspension and wheels and a wok for the rear cowl. LOL!!! I purchased the ol'girl for $300 and immediately got started on chopping the frame (the L's are suppose to be competition for the cruiser market). Once I got the frame straight it went through SEVERAL renditions. I think the hardest part was concealing all the wires...

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke-dog
You know what??? Somebody on GS Resources may have a used working CDI for sale on the cheap. May want to check that out 🤔

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke-dog
I'm also working on the GS450's bigger brother, the GS500. It's a 1996 model that i gave the GSXR treatment to. GSXR front/rear suspension (including swingarm) and wheels from a 2006 model. Had to make an offset sprocket and open the frame up about a 1/8" to allow the swingarm to fit. Now I'm making mounts for the front fender, headlight and speedo...

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady
Thx for the link Smoke. 👍
I didn’t know of anywhere that offered Zook stuff.

Think I’ll be out later today.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady

1st time out today guys.

New battery turned right over.
With stale gas, maybe a gallon in the tank,
it took full choke and 4 tries to get it going.

Idles low, even on full choke.

Revs great.

Air was low in the front tire.  Felt like the front calipers
dragging at first.  I’m always leery on that, front brakes sticking.

I need to either lower the footpegs or get on a stretching routine.

And I think I’m gonna replace the stock turn signals with
aftermarket’s that don’t stick out so far.
When I first got this bike I took the turn signals off, and it really gives the bike a much more narrow, lean look.

Anyway, for the first time in awhile, it was out there before Spring!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

I dream... Smoke just DOES !!!!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke, That Gray Goose has a killer stance. I really like the way you build on the cheap. It's the way I hope to have time for again some day. Life keeps me too busy so I do mostly buy and bolt on.

In my younger days before wife, daughter, starting a business and all that goes with it I enjoyed time in a small shed playing with moto toys. I'm envious of your garage and your fab abilities.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke-dog
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate that!!! Now that my son has his own bike (actually a few cause he has the fever 😉) and not on the back seat we go on all kinds of adventures!!!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

motogrady

Beautiful pic.

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw
I would assume stumbling  off idle and running hot is clogged low speed jets. If it runs good on top then that’s bcz u are in the main jet or I different part of the needle taper .
Idk you carb . You cold have a manifold leak .
I am
Not getting notifications to my in box. So I may have missed your fix .

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Battery tender leads are fused . I wouldn’t be concerned about handling a starter . Worst that can happen is a blown fuse .

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

Smoke-dog wrote
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate that!!! Now that my son has his own bike (actually a few cause he has the fever 😉) and not on the back seat we go on all kinds of adventures!!!

Great pics! Good living! Smoke-dog is the man!

Re: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTORCYCLE TODAY"

hacksaw wrote
I would assume stumbling  off idle and running hot is clogged low speed jets. If it runs good on top then that’s bcz u are in the main jet or I different part of the needle taper .
Idk you carb . You cold have a manifold leak .
I am
Not getting notifications to my in box. So I may have missed your fix .
Got it all proper.
Did a 50-mile ride through the rain on Hwy17 on the way to the airport. Feels right again.
Better starting.
Proper idle.
The usual buttery launch out of the stoplight hole in this land where one can split to the front.
That super-aggressive top-end isn’t there.
I think it was lean.
I drained much of the fuel to pull the tank, and must’ve been running around town on fuel sloshing through the petcock set on Run.
Getting the throttle cables set with the correct slack was important. Unknown about blocking the vscuum line to the “EGR”.
Supports splitting everywhere.
1 ... 20212223