Racing

1 ... 20212223242526 ... 41

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

My vote for a meetup venue is Barber.  It's  a long trip for West Coasters, though so maybe COTA?
Excellent, and I'm thinking simply along the lines of going to our local events and the rest of us endeavoring to be there, too.

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

My vote for a meetup venue is Barber.  It's  a long trip for West Coasters, though so maybe COTA?

 A meet up in COTA would be most excellent.

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

Dovi says Cia after Missano GP. He has decided to retire from MotoGP and not finish the season. Test Rider Crutchlow will stand in and finish the season for the Yamaha team WithU.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/08/04/andrea-dovizioso-to-retire-after-the-san-marino-gp/429649

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

hacksaw
See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I'll wait for you
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails, she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

My vote for a meetup venue is Barber.  It's  a long trip for West Coasters, though so maybe COTA?

 A meet up in COTA would be most excellent.

Re: Racing (old classics - just like us πŸ˜‰)

... I'm thinking simply along the lines of going to our local events and the rest of us endeavoring to be there, too.
That works too. Unless they bring a round of AHRMA back to Willow, or MotoAM gives Auto Club in Fontana another go, that means my closest venue is Laguna. Is flat track still racing at Del Mar?

I do have my calendar blocked for Laguna AND COTA next year. I will likely be semi-retired by then so should have no work priorities to get in the way πŸ˜‰

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

motogrady

Got me on that one.

Everything I can do to not look it up.

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Can I use Safari?

Ask me March 24 2023 and I might be able to answer without Google.

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

whatarush
2008 was the first time under the lights

I wasn't sure on the rider till you gave the hint. Stoner?

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

motogrady
whatarush wrote
2008 was the first time under the lights

I wasn't sure on the rider till you gave the hint. Stoner?
That’s a good guess.
I was thinking Rossi maybe, till I thought I’ve never seen anything but 46 on his bike.

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Yamaha seems to be at it again.

Back in the 70s Yamaha had a ton of 125 mx bikes all made up and just weren't selling.
The had a guy on their National team that had a chance to win the title.
Problem was, another guy on the team was riding good also.
So, with the adage, "win on Sunday, sell on Monday", yep, that's Kieth McCarthy, future head of American Yamaha, put the pit board out, telling Bob Hannah to let Brock Glover by on the last lap.
And it worked.
Glover won the title, Yamaha sold every 125 they had, and life was good.

That they broke the AMA rule of tampering, or race fixing, eh, nobody seemed to notice.

America has had a sort of JV Motocross  series for years.  It's called Loretta Lynn's.

Yeah, that Loretta.

Young guys, under the age of 18, run regionals all over the country to qualify for
The Big Show.  There are a ton of classes, each with its winner who is then proclaimed
the Amatuer National Champion of that class for that year.
Which, if not already done, even tho it's not supposed to, almost guarantees a Factory ride
and a spot in the big time.

Being an Amatuer kind of thing, I mean, it's for the kids so they say, there are a few rules
in place to kind of keep the playing field level.  Keep the costs down, so an average family
might be able to afford giving little Johnny a shot at fame and fortune.

One of the said rules, is called the Claiming rule.

It hasn't been used, heck, since the 70s, when some guy claimed a 500cc works Honda,
and got it.

Basically, it goes like this.  Any rider that participates in a race can claim another riders bike he raced against, after the event, for 3 times the manufacturers suggested retail price. The claim must be made within 30 minutes after the event.  The claimant must have the cash on hand.  If more than one rider claims the same bike, they pull straws to see who gets the bike.

The players last week:

Brennan Schofield, 17, the rider making the claim, and his dad.
Haiden Deegan, 17, winner of the race, sponsored by Yamaha, and his ex champion dad Brian.
Tim Cotter.  Long time promoter.
Various AMA Officials.
The unnamed Yamaha dealer supplying Schofields bikes.
Matt Walker, head of MCR Racing.
Harris, the guy that builds Schofields motors, the guy giving the interview.
Don Luche, a Yamaha Rep.

End result. The claim is dropped, nobody sees the insides of Deegans motor, and
at last word, the unnamed dealer is dropping Schofield, and wants his bikes back.

And you thought this was the Amatuers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSiBZG8Rksc&feature=emb_imp_woyt

Re: Racing (Quick Quiz)

Wild ^